The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BostonFan1
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 14, 2004 - 12:46 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

As to the previous played-record discussion, I think the only way to tell if the record has been played two or three times is to look at the center hole. I played a record the other day that was opened, but had not been on a turntable before.
After I played it once, the hole showed wear. Crying or Very sad

Anyone else have this trouble?

Reply with quote Back to top
anothermelbourniteOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 14, 2004 - 08:38 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Actually, it's funny you should mention that - I've seen discs with worn centre holes, but I don't think I've ever managed to wear one myself (the off-centre Australian pressings whose holes I enlarged so I can listen to the @^#&ing things don't count).

Maybe it's time to take those little blades off your spindle, BostonFan Wink

BostonFan1
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 14, 2004 - 10:56 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

My table has one of those goshaweful dropchanger spindles on it. The kind with the little flange on the side that you stack the records on. If you don't set the center hole juuuust right, sccccccrrrrrraaaaappppe! One perfect center made into crap. Mad AAAARRRRRGGGHHH!!! Crying or Very sad

I still love it, though, even if it is a pain.

Beautiful sound. Very Happy

troggyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 17, 2004 - 11:20 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

BostonFan1 wrote:
My table has one of those goshaweful dropchanger spindles on it. The kind with the little flange on the side that you stack the records on. If you don't set the center hole juuuust right, sccccccrrrrrraaaaappppe! One perfect center made into crap. Mad AAAARRRRRGGGHHH!!! Crying or Very sad

Man, if I started worrying about stuff like perfect center holes, I'd go stark raving mad, toot sweet.

I have a 45 that I recently learned is worth about a grand and still play it all the time because I really like it. And I wouldn't have it any other way. It's not listed in any of the price guides but apparently there are only 8 to 10 copies in collections around the world. I'm just glad that I lucked into one of them, as it turns out dirt cheap.

Todd

annaloogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 17, 2004 - 12:48 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

troggy wrote:
I have a 45 that I recently learned is worth about a grand and still play it all the time because I really like it. And I wouldn't have it any other way. It's not listed in any of the price guides but apparently there are only 8 to 10 copies in collections around the world. I'm just glad that I lucked into one of them, as it turns out dirt cheap.

Question Question Question Well, don't keep us in suspense. What is it? Inquiring minds, etc.

troggyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 17, 2004 - 04:30 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

annaloog wrote:
troggy wrote:

Question Question Question Well, don't keep us in suspense. What is it? Inquiring minds, etc.

Ha, okay I admit that I was hoping someone would ask. It's a garage rock single from 1966 by The Cliques called "So Hard" on the Custom label. I'd post a scan, if I had the capabiity. The labe is pretty non-descript but the song is a killer. The flip, "Ballad of a Destitute Man" isn't too good, despite the cool title.

I already knew the song from a comp that I have but ran across the single in a record store in the band's old stomping grounds of Champaign, IL. I spent 15 bucks on it, which is a lot for me, not knowing that it's worth a lot more. I just thought it'd be a neat record to have.

Recently, I did some checking on the net and learned from a reliable source that a NM copy sold for about $1500. My copy is a really solid VG+.

Apparently, 200 copies of the record were pressed by the band to sell at gigs. Several copies that didn't sell were destroyed when the band decided to paint them gold and toss them to fans at their final show.

Like I stated above, their are only supposed to be about ten copies surviving in collections today. Who knows if one will ever turn up outta the blue?

As 60's garage rock 45's go, there are several even more rare due to the private press, DIY nature of many records of the genre. A handful of them exist in a known quantity of one, believe it or not.

Todd

bmd
Post subject: You gotta be pullin' ma leg  PostPosted: Apr 17, 2004 - 05:32 PM
Former Member

Okay, I can't believe you're even considering this question. As someone aptly put it, ...... 'Art' that's one thing, put it on the wall and avoid blowing smoke at that precious mondrian.. but records were made, and designed to be aurally enjoyed (or endured in the case of a Charles Manson Lp).

Now this is the first time I've posted here and I'm going to be mildly crude (please forgive me moderator) But the analogy is worth the risk.
Having a rare record and not playing it is like owning a penis and refusing to use it because it might cheapen an imagined future coital opportunity.

It's strictly a mad person's game... STOP IT before you start collecting Late 19th century Austrian Anti Maccassars.......

m.

annaloogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 18, 2004 - 12:05 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

troggy wrote:
... and toss them to fans at their final show.

Quite an interesting story -- it sounds a bit like the one I read (in an issue of the British mag, Mojo) about MC 5's NYC concert in '69. Their label, Elektra, was promoting this, and had a special one-sided "Kick Out The Jams" 45 pressed (probably no more than 500) to be given away to fans attending the concert. At some point, a riot ensued, and someone grabbed a stack of the 45s and tossed them at the crowd. Very few of them (the 45s, that is) survived. I'll have to look out for this Cliques 45; you never know.

Unadude
Post subject: Playing records.  PostPosted: Apr 19, 2004 - 09:34 AM
Former Member

Of course we should play our records.

Unless we have them framed and mounted on a wall somwehere..

What's the sense of having them if you're not gonna enjoy them?

Play them records, boys..play 'em loud 'n proud.

Music Lover
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 19, 2004 - 03:41 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Hey Unadude, I must say I like that last line. Can I quote you? I would like to change it to boys and girls and use it as my quote at the bottom of the page. Laughing
Gail

Jump to: