The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jebus0000Offline
Post subject: At what point does the original inner sleeves add to the  PostPosted: May 11, 2004 - 01:14 PM
Level 2
Level 2

value of a record. I mean if the original inner sleeve has absolutely nothing on it then I imagine it makes no difference cause how would you even tell it's original. But if the inner sleeve has pictures or logos or whatever...is it important to keep it?

For example I have a blue note record where the inner sleeve has little blue notes all over it but I want to put the record in a new sleeve. Should I bother keeping the original?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
dkurtis
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 11, 2004 - 01:38 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Keep the original along side the new sleeve. It requires no effort or cost to
keep it and it will, if not add value, it will add to the uniqueness of the record.

annaloogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 11, 2004 - 10:52 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Inner sleeves aren't documented all that well (going by price guide info.), although there a few web sites dedicated to the subject. Those that add 'value' will be noted in the price guides -- as (for example) the original pink-shaded inner sleeve that came with The Beatles' Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. Aside from that, what dkurtis said.

LPMAN
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 11, 2004 - 11:32 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I agree, it can never hurt the value to keep an all original sleeve.

prancinghorseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 12, 2004 - 08:40 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

There are tons of examples where the original innersleeve ads to the value of the record, just to give you a few:

MFSL records: fet˘h a higher price when the disc still is in the "rice paper innersleeve"

UK Decca pressings mid til end of sixties: A lot of those records had covers with stereo and mono catalogue number imprinted on the back side - close to those numbers Decca punched a hole into the cover (just the backside, not through the entire cover) - the identification whether the record was stereo or mono was done via the color of the innersleeve (blue innersleeve = stereo, red = mono). Examples for those are The Rolling Stones "Through the past darkly" (Decca SKL5019 / LK5019) or "Let it bleed" (Decca SKL5015 / LK5025).

For some records the original innersleeve is the most valuable part (just from the "Fast Eddie" monetary point of view) - one of those is the Rolling Stones "Goats Head Soup" innersleeve. As I pointed out somewhere else (I can't recall the thread sorry) the innersleeves used with this record were that tiny and fragile that almost none of them is really undamaged..

Jump to: