The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
vinyl1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2008 - 11:45 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

mardesi wrote:
sequence 4S: fourth stamper for the side 1

This is common misconception. The 4S refers to the 4th lacquer, which is what the mastering engineers cuts on the lathe into a vinyl master. The lacquer is then plated, and the pair of plates are used to make multiple mothers. The stampers are then drawn from the mothers.

The stamper/mother on an RCA is indicated by a notation like 'A1' or 'B3' at 120 degrees from the matrix info. The 'A', 'B', 'C' are the mothers, and the '1', '2', '3' are the stampers. So the very first issue would be 1S A1, assuming there were no accidents in the cutting and plating. It was quite easy to make a mistake and have to discard parts and start over.

Reply with quote Back to top
mardesiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 02, 2008 - 12:09 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Hello. Thanks to vinyl1 for the information. Only...I have still some doubts about the letter 'S' referred to the lacquers.
I agree, of course, with all the process mentioned (as reported in the very interesting article on this site):
- cutting from the master tapes onto lathe --> Lacquer (negative)
- metal and silver layer on lacquer --> Matrix
- creation of a metal positive from matrix --> Mother (negative more resistant than lacquer)
- new (multiple) plating onto mother --> Negative Stampers for the serial production
My question is the following:
A) assuming that the cutting process is very complicate and related to many technical variables (record groove control, cutting process parameters of the sapphir and so on...), so very difficult to keep under control
B) assuming that it is often very easy to encounter 'S' codes with a very high index (for example, I have a LSC 2077 with 17S/23S indexes)

why the cutting engineer should risk to fail for so many times a lacquer realisation when more easily he can take a certain number of mothers from here and, after, and more high number of stampers from these mothers?
PLEASE: consider that these are my observations as an 'ignorant', because I don't know in detail all the steps in records production.

Regards,
Mario

mardesiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 02, 2008 - 12:31 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Sorry: I've done some mistakes:
the lacquer is a 'positive', since producted from the cutting stylus; the matrix is a negative; the mother is a 'positive'; the stamper is a negative.

I apologise.

Jump to: