The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
gregscottOffline
Post subject: playgrade diff. with turntables  PostPosted: Sep 17, 2008 - 02:36 PM
Level 4
Level 4

hi,i read posts on here concerning how records can sound worse or better depending on the turntable/stylus,etc. being used. i have a brand new retro crosley rochester 4 in one player. what do you think of this in terms of sensitivity? does it tend to hide or bring out flaws in the records? is it neutral? is it a decent player for playtesting records for grading purposes?

Reply with quote Back to top
troggyOffline
Post subject: RE: playgrade diff. with turntables  PostPosted: Sep 17, 2008 - 03:31 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

The turntable can make a difference and the stylus can make a big difference, especially if it's worn. Then, everything sounds like crap. Don't know about your Crosley. Those things seem to run the gamut from decent to terrible sounding.

vinyl1Offline
Post subject: RE: playgrade diff. with turntables  PostPosted: Sep 17, 2008 - 06:09 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

It depends, but generally speaking, the Crosley is a piece of crap. If you play-graded audiophile records on it, your customers would not be very happy once they lowered their $5000 cartridge onto the record.

For the general market, you might get by. But many people are upgading to decent budget equipment nowadays, say a Rega or a Pro-ject with a nice phono pre such as the Cambridge Audio.

gregscottOffline
Post subject: RE: playgrade diff. with turntables  PostPosted: Sep 17, 2008 - 10:25 PM
Level 4
Level 4

well,i`d only be playgrading non-audiophile common lesser condition 45s as that is what i have,so i guess it would be good enough?

troggyOffline
Post subject: RE: playgrade diff. with turntables  PostPosted: Sep 18, 2008 - 05:30 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

It might be fine. Do you know anyone with a different system, so you can do a quick comparison?

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: playgrade diff. with turntables  PostPosted: Sep 24, 2008 - 09:48 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

The turntable/cartridge used can certainly make a noticeable difference. For example, older MONO 45s & LPs sound much better on my Technics SP-15 w/Grado ME+ (Mono) cartridge as compared to playback on my Technics SL1200MK5 with Ortofon ProS40 (audiophile/stereo) cartridge. The Grado cartridge has a 1.0 mil elliptical stylus that's a better match for the slightly wider MONO groove, and its mono output results in less distracting surface noise.

Jump to: