The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject: Shafran Cellist  PostPosted: Sep 29, 2008 - 10:15 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Daniel Shafran on Vanguard VRS 6005 playing Kabalevsky Concerto with Kabalevsky conducting. David Oistrakh playing Glazounov on the flip side of this album.

This turns out to be Shafran's recording debut at age 29. I guess the record company thought it could introduce Shafran since Oistrakh was alread established.

But the question here is this; I can't find any sales figures for this record, so does anyone have a clue about this one? Anoyone else have a copy?

Reply with quote Back to top
elvisluvsOffline
Post subject: RE: Shafran Cellist  PostPosted: Sep 29, 2008 - 11:18 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Don't know if this helps- there seems to be one on gemm-http://www.gemm.com/item/OISTRAKH---d---SHAFRAN/VIOLIN--CONCERTOS/GML913789907/

Post subject: RE: Shafran Cellist  PostPosted: Sep 29, 2008 - 11:31 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Thanks for the link, elvis. You are certainlyl the KING today!

Hardly understandable for sale at $22. Or is that GBP or Euro since they are one of Europe's Expert Dealers?

elvisluvsOffline
Post subject: RE: Shafran Cellist  PostPosted: Sep 29, 2008 - 03:39 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

You are welcome Barrie.

vinyl1Offline
Post subject: RE: Shafran Cellist  PostPosted: Sep 29, 2008 - 09:55 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Shafran is highly collectible. Even his US reissue material will sell for decent money.

The rare early Melodiyas on which this material originally appeared can go for outrageous prices, as can some of the records he made in the West. There is a famous shaded dog he did in the early 60s that goes for $300-500.

elvisluvsOffline
Post subject: RE: Shafran Cellist  PostPosted: Sep 30, 2008 - 12:10 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hey Barrie- maybe you should try to snag that one too- Badger

Post subject: Re: RE: Shafran Cellist  PostPosted: Sep 30, 2008 - 09:46 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

vinyl1 wrote:
Shafran is highly collectible. Even his US reissue material will sell for decent money.

The rare early Melodiyas on which this material originally appeared can go for outrageous prices, as can some of the records he made in the West.

So your thought is that this performance originally appeared on Melodiya. It does say on the back of the Vanguard that their recording was made using the original tapes. I guess Melodiya sold the rights to Vanguard for US distribution.

No matter, it is a fine recording with great sound.

Maybe I can snag one of those rare Melodiya's, and while I'm casting I'll see if I can snag one or two of those Kogan Columbia Sax's!

Out of all the records I have seen and found in the places I look for these things, I've never seen a Columbia Sax. Not even a VG stinker! I have seen and snagged some Melodiya's, however.

vinyl1Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Shafran Cellist  PostPosted: Sep 30, 2008 - 09:58 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

You are highly unlikely to find a UK Columbia in the US, althought stranger things have happened.

But keep your eyes open for the US RCA shaded dog of Shafran. Even the mono gets good money, and the stereo is out of sight. I was very lucky to get my copy for only $40.

annaloogAdministrator
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Shafran Cellist  PostPosted: Sep 30, 2008 - 11:26 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

vinyl1 wrote:
You are highly unlikely to find a UK Columbia in the US, althought stranger things have happened....
Unlikely, but not impossible. Many record shops in the larger US cities kept import titles (including classical) in stock, and would special-order titles they didn't have. One that I know from personal experience is The Disc Shop in Washington DC, and I have found the occasional local thrift shop item bearing their store sticker. While I haven't come across any SAX series so far, I have managed to find the odd Tibor Varga (UK Columbia 33SX 1017) and several Soviet-era Melodiya LPs, including the Rozhdestvensky "Swan Lake" (33 CO1771-76) that I had previously bought in the 1970s as a US Melodiya/Angel issue ... though granted these are all few and far between.

Jump to: