The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
vinylundergroundOffline
Post subject: The restriction of records in this forum.  PostPosted: Sep 13, 2008 - 07:19 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Hi all,

Recently, we have seen a large number of discs posted that are of a fairly common or large production nature. Although we encourage all members to share their collection with us, due to database size and bandwidth limitations, we must restrict what is posted in this forum.

Therefore, the Record Collectors Guild reserves the right to subtract the discs that clearly fall under the category of "fairly common and large production records".

If an image or post is removed due to the above explanation. Please accept our sincere apologies for taking this action. Please keep in mind that we have very little choice in this matter.

Regards,
Jeff Bender
Webmaster,
the Record Collectors Guild

Reply with quote Back to top
kaos01Offline
Post subject: Re: The restriction of records in this forum.  PostPosted: Jan 14, 2009 - 09:40 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

vinylunderground wrote:
Recently, we have seen a large number of discs posted that are of a fairly common or large production nature. Although we encourage all members to share their collection with us, due to database size and bandwidth limitations, we must restrict what is posted in this forum.

Therefore, the Record Collectors Guild reserves the right to subtract the discs that clearly fall under the category of "fairly common and large production records".

Hear! Hear!

Was not the purpose of this forum clearly stated?
cutter wrote:
This forum is to serve as a gallery to display picture discs, colored vinyl, shaped or rare and interesting records.

.......this night wounds time.

hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: The restriction of records in this forum.  PostPosted: Jan 15, 2009 - 06:28 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

kaos01 wrote:
cutter wrote:
This forum is to serve as a gallery to display picture discs, colored vinyl, shaped or rare and interesting records.

"Rare and interesting" is the big variable there, of course. If it's a 50 dollar record (i.e. not belonging in the Super-Collectible section), it's probably rare, or at least interesting, to a whole lot of RCGers - but not to others. I think that's what I was thinking when I proposed a "Bragging Rights" thread, which exists though isn't used much.

kaos01Offline
Post subject: Re: The restriction of records in this forum.  PostPosted: Jan 15, 2009 - 11:14 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

hrtshpdbox wrote:
"Rare and interesting" is the big variable there, of course.

Not entirely, but I do understand where you are coming from. There are members here like Wurlitzer, LoneStar, you and me that could post disc after disc (45s of course Wink ) on small, rare labels. This would be a beneficial learning tool for those who are seeking info on those artists and labels, as well as those who are looking to get in on (IMHO) the greatest hobby on the face og God's grey earth. There have however, been more than a few people who have made posts in this forum whose only item of interest was their desire to jack up their post numbers. These posts were obvious, but not being a Mod, I joined up with practically everyone else that simply ignored these posts.

Any time that Styx on A&M, The Tubes on A&M and Robin Trower on Chrysalis (all standard commercial issues) become 'Rare and Interesting', then those that are amused and amazed are those who need gentle and kind enlightening. Those who have been around the boards for a while are abusing what Cutter originally said that this forum was designed for...and this isn't the only forum that suffers abuse for the sake of jacking up post numbers.

The bandwidth that is being generously provided for all of us to use as our virtual vinyl playground isn't cheap. Cluttering it up with items that do not belong there is wrong...doing it for personal recognition is even worse.

kaos01Offline
Post subject: Re: The restriction of records in this forum.  PostPosted: Jan 15, 2009 - 11:16 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

hrtshpdbox wrote:
I think that's what I was thinking when I proposed a "Bragging Rights" thread, which exists though isn't used much.

BTW...that is a great thread, born of a great idea, hrtshpdbox.

hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: The restriction of records in this forum.  PostPosted: Jan 15, 2009 - 05:14 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

kaos01 wrote:
There have however, been more than a few people who have made posts in this forum whose only item of interest was their desire to jack up their post numbers.

I understand completely about non-Gallery caliber posts being a nuisance, but don't get the thing about wanting to increase post numbers...what benefit does anyone get from that? Now I'm going to feel guilty about my own horde of less-than-consequential posts!

kaos01 wrote:
BTW...that is a great thread, born of a great idea, hrtshpdbox.

Thanks, kaos! I've got to come up with a bragging item and get that thread moving along again.

RDNZL
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 16, 2009 - 11:55 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I would like to add that before you post, take a minute to do a search & see if the record has already had a post regarding it.

I wasted 10 minutes yesterday taking a picture, transferring it to my PC, uploading it to the RCG. Another 10 minutes fooling around on babelfish trying to translate Italian to English. (this is regarding that Italian Boys Orphanage flexi picture disc)

If I would have checked the RCG search engine a little better, (I didn't realize you can narrow the search by forums) I would have seen that someone posted about the <b>exact same </b> flexi disc last Summer. Photos, translation, etc. was all already done & discussed.

Lesson learned : Before you post, use the RCG search engine.
You can narrrow the search by "forum" & see if you are duplicating a previous post while also wasting your time. All the work regarding that Italian flexi was done & was just a few clicks away, I just didn't know how to find it efficiently.

Like hrtshapebx, I also don't get why someone would want to boost their post numbers.
I would rather make 2 posts that someone finds useful or at the very least, mildly interesting than 200 that are just going to get skimmed by.

kaos01Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 16, 2009 - 12:00 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

RDNZL wrote:
I would like to add that before you post, take a minute to do a search & see if the record has already had a post regarding it.

Good point...one that I personally forget way too often. Embarassed

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 16, 2009 - 12:05 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RDNZL wrote:
If I would have checked the RCG search engine a little better, (I didn't realize you can narrow the search by forums) I would have seen that someone posted about the <b>exact same </b> flexi disc last Summer. Photos, translation, etc. was all already done & discussed.

That's happened to me, too! Once you've done all the work, though, I think there's nothing wrong with adding your own photo to the old thread, if you've got any additional points of interest to make.

RDNZL
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 16, 2009 - 02:09 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Quote:

That's happened to me, too! Once you've done all the work, though, I think there's nothing wrong with adding your own photo to the old thread, if you've got any additional points of interest to make.

Exactly. In this case, I would have added that the content is a boy speaking in Italian & then an Italian version of "O Come All Ye Faithful" instead of starting a new post.

Jump to: