The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
sps
Post subject: Value of records with damaged album covers?  PostPosted: May 21, 2002 - 12:19 PM
Former Member

I hope someone can help me with this valuation problem. I am appraising a large collection of LPs that have water-damaged covers. Do the records still have value without the covers? What proportion of the value of the whole (record and album cover) does the record consititute? Conversely, does the album cover have "stand alone" value (i.e without the actual record)?
sps@appraisalassociates.ca

Reply with quote Back to top
jazzpuppyOffline
Post subject: damaged covers  PostPosted: May 30, 2002 - 11:13 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Dear sps:

I think you would probably get a different answer from everyone you asked. Here's my take:

1. The first thing you need to do is find out if your records are desirable/ collectible in the first place. How old are they? What style of music? (For starters, you might want to get on eBay and see if you can find your records - how much are they going for?) If a record is rare enough, it is still desirable and will have some value even though not in great condition. Just how damaged are the covers?

2. What condition are the actual records? To be frank, they are probably only worth pursuing if they look almost new to the eye. If the vinyl has visible scraches and scuffs AND the cover is damaged, you may not want to waste your time and effort.

3. If you discover your records are collectible and the vinyl is in good shape, you might indeed try to sell them. Many collectors, myself included, make a kind of game out of matching covers to Lps. For example, if I find a record I have been looking for, and the cover looks like new, but the record looks like a truck ran over it, I keep the cover & toss the vinyl. Then I put it on a list of Lps + jackets that I need. Mix & match! So, if you have jazz, swing, bossa nova or vocal Lps, I might be interested myself!

4. To you question about whether Lp covers have stand alone value, it must be noted that people collect records for different reasons. SOme collect primarily because they love music and for them, the vinyl condition is what counts. A lot of collectors search for interesting/ weird/ beautiful cover art - for them, its about the esthetics. So, yes, for these folks certain record covers are highly prized & i'd be willing to bet they don't mind not having the vinyl.

Hope this lengthy dissertation was helpful!!!

best of luck,
Craig Klose (jazzpuppy)

Greetings fellow phonophiles! I'm a rabid record collector (from buffalo, NY)- ONLY 12" LPs and ONLY in mint condition. would love to hear from other record collectors who are into collecting first pressing jazz, swing records, vocals.

dkurtis
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 30, 2002 - 03:33 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

No, nope, zero in my opinion. What's the value of a
car without the body. Ok - pennies on the dollar and hope
you run across a guy that has beautiful jackets and
warped records. At best, you will buy two records to
end up with one complete. AND - mold will spread to
all other records and covers. I would rather buy good
covers and bad records. I could at least frame the artwork.

Jump to: