The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
StephenMacLeodOffline
Post subject: Paul McCartney Halifax Commons-July 11,2009 Nova Scotia  PostPosted: Jul 13, 2009 - 08:13 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Absoluty fantastic show.Played for almost 3 hours which in itself was incredible since McCartney is 67.He can still perform.
Very entertaining played 35 tunes.Beatles,Wings & solo stuff as well as tributes to Lennon & Harrison.
Also have a youtube link of one of the songs performed Mull Of Kintyre.
Over 50,000 people in attendance weather was great no rain sunny all day.
Ticket prices ranged from $125.00 to $300.. for VIP tickets.
Songs Played were:
Band On The Run
Day Tripper
Yesterday
Let It Be
Hey Jude
Something(Tribute to George Harrison,played on Yuke given to McCartney by Harrison)
A Day In The Life/Give Peace A Chance(Tribute To John)
The Fireman-McCartney under a different name
Jet
Mull Of Kintyre
Blackbird
The Band was also fantastic,drummer was very good .
Well worth the money. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvO5NwxqPuY

Reply with quote Back to top
prancinghorseOffline
Post subject: RE: Paul McCartney Halifax Commons-July 11,2009 Nova Scotia  PostPosted: Jul 13, 2009 - 08:47 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I have seen him in 2003 in Cologne - bought the ticket 30 minutes before the show and paid for VIP tickets 30 Euros!! A lot of people tried to earn big bucks on the black market but this time it did not pay out as the concert was timed very bad (a lot of competition those two weeks) so people refrained from buying and thus you could get them very cheap..

The show I have seen was fantastic as well - did he perform "Yesterday" again just alone with his piano?

hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: Paul McCartney Halifax Commons-July 11,2009 Nova Scotia  PostPosted: Jul 13, 2009 - 08:52 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

StephenMacLeod wrote:
Mull Of Kintyre

Interesting song in that it Mac's biggest U.K. hit (in fact, the first U.K. single to sell two million copies), and was also a big international hit - but flopped in the U.S. (reaching #45 on Billboard - the flip did better). As a rule, Mac does not play this song when he tours the U.S.

StephenMacLeodOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Paul McCartney Halifax Commons-July 11,2009 Nova Sco  PostPosted: Jul 13, 2009 - 10:31 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

prancinghorse wrote:
I have seen him in 2003 in Cologne - bought the ticket 30 minutes before the show and paid for VIP tickets 30 Euros!! A lot of people tried to earn big bucks on the black market but this time it did not pay out as the concert was timed very bad (a lot of competition those two weeks) so people refrained from buying and thus you could get them very cheap..

The show I have seen was fantastic as well - did he perform "Yesterday" again just alone with his piano?

Yes he played Yesterday alone.
Concert tickets were available here as well before the concert.Even on concert day.Lots of other concerts this summer-Kiss(same site as McCartney),AC/Dc,Bon Jovi,Reba MCEntire & Tim McGraw as well.

StephenMacLeodOffline
Post subject: Re: Paul McCartney Halifax Commons-July 11,2009 Nova Scotia  PostPosted: Jul 13, 2009 - 10:33 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

hrtshpdbox wrote:
StephenMacLeod wrote:
Mull Of Kintyre

Interesting song in that it Mac's biggest U.K. hit (in fact, the first U.K. single to sell two million copies), and was also a big international hit - but flopped in the U.S. (reaching #45 on Billboard - the flip did better). As a rule, Mac does not play this song when he tours the U.S.

Mull Of Kintyre sold over 2 million copies in the UK,was also very popular around these parts because of our Scottish heritage.
That is why it wasn`t a big US hit,I think the A side in the US was Girlschool #33 on Billboard,not a bad song either.

hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: Paul McCartney Halifax Commons-July 11,2009 Nova Scotia  PostPosted: Jul 13, 2009 - 10:40 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

StephenMacLeod wrote:
Mull Of Kintyre sold over 2 million copies in the UK,was also very popular around these parts because of our Scottish heritage.
That is why it wasn`t a big US hit....

Also number 1 in Austria, Australia, Germany, and Switzerland.

Eski-moeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Paul McCartney Halifax Commons-July 11,2009 Nova Sco  PostPosted: Jul 21, 2009 - 05:35 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Great report Stephen! (I can't believe I just NOW found this thread... lol )

Moe

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
StephenMacLeodOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Paul McCartney Halifax Commons-July 11,2009 Nova Sco  PostPosted: Jul 21, 2009 - 06:24 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thanks Moe,Glad you found it.

lamasOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Paul McCartney Halifax Commons-July 11,2009 Nova Sco  PostPosted: Jul 21, 2009 - 06:51 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Location: Warwick ( 8 miles NE of Stratford Upon Avon ) England
Quote:

Interesting song in that it Mac's biggest U.K. hit (in fact, the first U.K. single to sell two million copies), and was also a big international hit - but flopped in the U.S. (reaching #45 on Billboard -

I had NOT realised it was unsuccceful in the US

It was ABSOLUTLEY HUGE here ......I am speaking from memory but I think it was out over the Christmas period and was thus a hit in two years...............and I think was the biggest selling single in BOTH YEARS

to sell 2,000,000 copies in a land of 65,000,000 souls ( of ALL ages - so some are too old and some too young to buy records ) takes a bit of doing

Bought a copy myself as it happens ( lol)..............These days I would play GIRLS SCHOOL
........................I have heard " MULL " more times than I care to

Glad to hear he can still do it at 67 ( I am 62.....so he gives me HOPE ) and notice he does it 'cos he loves performing ....................no retireng at 6 5

Jump to: