The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
targeteyeOffline
Post subject: Questions about visual vs playback grading  PostPosted: Oct 30, 2009 - 08:46 AM
Level 1
Level 1

My first post here hopefully it's decent. I did a little bit of digging for this subject in the newbie section but didn't see anything. I'm trying to learn about grading and have read thru the goldmine standards and others but I have some questions about a phenomenon i've noticed on some records.

Here is a scenario i've been thinking about and would like some input on. When analyzing a batch of records I just drug home from a thrift store, garage sale, swap meet etc i'll run across a record that visually looks perfect or almost perfect. Doesn't even loook like it needs a cleaning. So I play the record and yet to my surprise there is some surface noise in quiet passages. After running the record thru my RCM there seems to be little or no change. Closer inspection of the record doesn't reveal visual grove damage so i'm at a loss.

My theory is that this particular record must have been stamped late in the process and therefore the negative plate was getting worn. Is this the case or a possibility? Is this the reason some knowlegable collectors will look for discs with certain stamping numbers in them?

Another scenario I run into is where a record will have a slight haziness to it or what I might call patterns in the vinyl. The hazyness or paterns in the vinyl will continue into the run off area where certainly this hazyness was not caused by needle damage. I've even seen some of these where one side of the record was perfectly glossy and the other side had the hazzyness or patterns. Is this also cause by damaged plates that needed to be replaced and the stamper pushed them a little too far?

This all leads to a question about how to go about grading these types of albums if one was to sell them. If a record looks nm visually an plays vg+ how should it be listed? Or for that matter when going by visual grading only what if they record doesn't play NM? Is is generally excepted the some NM records will play better than other and that just part of the hobby? Should I only sell records if I have the time to actually play everyone and give a play grade?

Thanks for you input.
Steve

Reply with quote Back to top
mod79Offline
Post subject: RE: Questions about visual vs playback grading  PostPosted: Oct 30, 2009 - 09:47 AM
Level 4
Level 4

This is a good question. I go from the fact that a NM or M- record should always sound as good as you can hope for. The words MINT and SOUNDING PERFECT should in my mind be removed from the record collecting vocabulary, since I don't believe a mint or a perfect playing copy exist, especially when it comes to 40-50 year old records.
If I get a copy that looks great but has flaws on the playback quality, I go from grading the discs ranging from G to EX, depending how notable or disturbing the flaw is. But from that point we come to the fact that what people find disturbing varies a lot, so it's not easy.

It's not easy, all you have to do is to be honest to yourself and the record -- and hope for the best!

And now I realise the tips I gave are quite obvious, but I am not gonna prevent that from posting this Wink

scotapellOffline
Post subject: RE: Questions about visual vs playback grading  PostPosted: Oct 30, 2009 - 09:54 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Welcome to the Guild Steve. I think you've answered many of your own questions. Yes, some pressings are better than others for dozens of reasons. Worn stampers, inferior materials, shoddy production, poor mastering.....

I don't think you have to offer both play/visual grade on every single record although it may be worth it when trying to sell more expensive items. In some cases a record may play better than visual grade, some worse. In any case, as a buyer I appreciate being given both.

Jump to: