The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ultimixOffline
Post subject: Is there a guide for Religious records??  PostPosted: Nov 17, 2008 - 11:25 AM
Level 3
Level 3

I have some Religious records that I bought in a sale. Is there a guide out there for them. I havent seem to find one yet.

thanks with any help -

Mark

Reply with quote Back to top
jettboiOffline
Post subject: RE: Is there a guide for Religious records??  PostPosted: Nov 18, 2008 - 05:27 PM
Level 4
Level 4

I think a lot depends on what you mean by "religious." I don't own any of them but I have heard of a couple of price guides dedicated to gospel music by black artists/groups like Clara Ward or The Swan Silvertones or The Five Blind Boys of Alabama. Of course, there are also the christian albums put out by well-known names that can bring money. But I've never seen or heard of any price guide dedicated to the many MANY albums put out by white christian artists that mostly recorded on small regional labels. I think there will be more interest in recordings that also have a cross-style interest such as psych, fuzz, etc.

Now, having said that I have seen many postings on ebay for white christian music and a catchphrase lately seems to be "Jesus music." Try that as a search and see what you get. I also know that there are one or two folks on this board who are buying "religious" records so hopefully some of them will weigh in.

J

tashaOffline
Post subject: Re: Is there a guide for Religious records??  PostPosted: Nov 18, 2008 - 07:52 PM
Level 5
Level 5

ultimix wrote:
I have some Religious records that I bought in a sale. Is there a guide out there for them. I havent seem to find one yet.

thanks with any help -

Mark

Using the word "religious" records to describe your acquisition is the same as using "popular" records to describe your Beatles/Stones/Springstein/Barry Manilow/Perry Como collection. Religious as a music category breaks down into Southern Gospel, Gospel, Praise and so on. To include or exclude Southern Gospel artists visit this web site http://www.sghistory.com/ . There are some guides out there but I haven't read them. You might find some additional help by visiting http://www.gospelmusic.org/ . This would be the home of the Dove Awards (think Grammy here). Once upon a time I found an encyclopedia on the subject but wilted away when I discovered the price was $1500 each.

If any of your newly acquired records are by Ruby Kitchen, PM me about them.

Walter

jackcaptureOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Is there a guide for Religious records??  PostPosted: Nov 18, 2008 - 10:27 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Why don't you list a few here, Mark. Dkurtis knows a thing or two about "Jesus Music" and myself and others can comment on some other types of religious.

ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject: Re: Is there a guide for Religious records??  PostPosted: Nov 18, 2008 - 10:54 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

ultimix wrote:

thanks with any help -

Mark

Here you go.

Wink

bible2.gif
 Description:
The good book.
 Filesize:  3.82 KB
 Viewed:  296 Time(s)

bible2.gif

Former_Member#2Offline
Post subject: Re: Is there a guide for Religious records??  PostPosted: Nov 18, 2008 - 11:06 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

ultimix wrote:

thanks with any help -

Mark

This is the only guide I know of;

http://heavenly-grooves-archivist.blogspot.com/

I buy alot of Christian vinyl of all sorts. Post a list when you can.

Joan Of Arc

KentTOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Is there a guide for Religious records??  PostPosted: Oct 30, 2009 - 10:14 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Generally Black or Negro Gospel fet˘hes the highest prices and has the most collector interest. This genre is also known as Spirituals. Examples of it include, Mahalia Jackson, The Five Blind Boys of Alabama, The Dixie Hummingbirds, Clara Ward, etc. Some of the early Contemporary Christian music is collectible aka Jesus Music.

Jump to: