The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
auntambersOffline
Post subject: Does the stuff inside (posters, books, etc) add to value?  PostPosted: Feb 28, 2008 - 06:46 AM
Level 1
Level 1

Please bear with me, I got a short stack of records from my parents and I don't think I have near the appreciation for them that I should. Some days I want to treasure them, but most I'd rather sell them, and if they are worth more than $1, I want more than $1.

I'm in Wyoming and it's not like I have immediate access to anyone to look at them. There isn't even a thrift store here to donate them to. I contacted a record store in SLC, Utah and got no response.

The covers aren't all in that great of shape, but the ones I've played, play well -- not that I have a great system to know how well they play at the level most people here would. Hotel California gives me goosebumps though, so it has to be somewhat decent.

To give examples, I have The Who: Live at Leeds with all sorts of stuff inside it, but it's not some rare version like they have listed on popsike.com

All the Beatles records that came with a poster or book have them, but I'll admit when I was 15 years old I hung the one on my wall (I think it was from their White Album), and later put it back in the record.

I have a Ringo, that I think has the long version of six o'clock, but it has smudges and hairlines all over it, but it looks like it had something inside it, which it doesn't now. The cover on that one is not pretty. While if that one was in good shape I think it would have value, would it matter if whatever went inside, if anything, is missing?

So, to determine if it has value, and what that might be, do I just factor the record condition, then the cover, then the inserts? What if the record is not in great condition, but it has the goodies?

Reply with quote Back to top
scotapellOffline
Post subject: RE: Does the stuff inside (posters, books, etc) add to value  PostPosted: Feb 28, 2008 - 06:55 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Short answer is yes. Price guides list prices including any inserts etc. so not having all original insterts, posters or stickers or whatever will actually reduce the value. In some cases it can give value to a record that otherwise would have little or none. Some collectors may have a nice NM original pressing of say Dark Side of the Moon without it's inserts. On occasion they may buy a lessor copy if it has these inserts just to complete their set.

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: Does the stuff inside (posters, books, etc) add to value  PostPosted: Feb 28, 2008 - 09:42 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

auntambers,

Welcome to the RCG!

Where in Wyoming are you located? I'm in Powell.

aravelOffline
Post subject: RE: Does the stuff inside (posters, books, etc) add to value  PostPosted: Feb 28, 2008 - 09:52 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

::: that'a great first post.

The inserts were pretty rare in early 70's Mex Pressings. I have a U2 mex pressing of 'Achtung Baby' that comes with picture inner and an extra-sheet with the lyrics transalation in Spanish. If you can get a complete Lp it goes for $75 USD...with out the insert it's just another 10 bucks record.

But I've seen a lot of records sold at eBay that never give a grade to the inners, sometimes they came ripped of the bottom due the vinyl's edge and even if the jacket and vinyl are in great shape, it's true that damaged inners or inserts are a turn-off of the record condition.

Bienvenido al RCG!!
regards from Mexico
aravel

gypsyeyes wrote:

Now.......I know that aravel said that is an older photo of himself.
But let me tell ya, to me he looks pretty hot.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
djdaffy1227Offline
Post subject: RE: Does the stuff inside (posters, books, etc) add to value  PostPosted: Feb 28, 2008 - 10:30 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I definitely paid more for a Prince records like "Purple rain" and "Controversy" that came with the original posters. I paid less for the 12" promo of "Sexy MF" on yellow vinyl because it did not include the original sleeve or any of the goodies that came with the record.

auntambersOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Does the stuff inside (posters, books, etc) add to v  PostPosted: Mar 03, 2008 - 11:48 PM
Level 1
Level 1

CactusCowboy wrote:
auntambers,

Welcome to the RCG!

Where in Wyoming are you located? I'm in Powell.

I'm in Evanston, which as I understand it most people in Wyoming don't consider Evanston to be in Wyoming, but I assure you it is. Smile

weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Does the stuff inside (posters, books, etc) add  PostPosted: Mar 07, 2008 - 08:43 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Welcome, auntambers!

I, too, live at Wyoming. Kirby, Wyoming, just north of Thermopolis!

My wife and I had an art show there in the train station back in 1998 or something. Were you there then?

auntambersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 08, 2008 - 07:37 AM
Level 1
Level 1

I need to get out of Evanston more ...

I have only been in Evanston about 9 months, but it feels like years. I don't think I've ever been so quickly immersed into a community in my life.

This is totally off topic ... are you and your wife artists?

I'm thinking it in 1998 all they had finished was the Depot ... the Machine Shop doesn't look like it was renovated that long ago, but maybe it was. The Machine Shop is incredible.

KentTOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 30, 2009 - 10:20 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

If special inner sleeves, posters, or other included inserts are missing, usually does affect value. Up to 60% less minus any of this or all.

Jump to: