The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MSteveOffline
Post subject: Slightly warped new records  PostPosted: Nov 17, 2009 - 08:04 AM
Level 3
Level 3

So I recently got my new turntable system up and running so I got to play some of the new records that I had purchased in advance over the last year. (I havn't played any old ones from the parents because I havn't gotten around to cleaning them yet).

Anyways, to my dismay a couple of my brand new records seem to be slightly warped. Is this fairly common? Of 5 records I had (3 albums, one had three discs) 2 of the records are warped. When its rotating on the turntable it looks like one 'corner' is kind of bent upward. Both of these records arrived in the mail... is mail-order vinyl a really bad idea?

It just seemed like a high failure rate, although it is a small sample.

Finally are they fixable?? From what I have read, probably not unless I want to have a go at baking them in the oven with a bit of black magic.

Reply with quote Back to top
RidinTheWind
Post subject: RE: Slightly warped new records  PostPosted: Nov 17, 2009 - 03:25 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Does the warp affect the sound? If not, don't worry about it.

Since I started buying records in the late 60's, every now and then you would get a new record with some warpage. It never hurt the sound.

MSteveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 18, 2009 - 08:27 AM
Level 3
Level 3

It does affect the sound quite a bit. There is much more static (maybe a good cleaning will take care of that). But you can also hear sort of a slow down in the music as it plays over the warp.

PaceyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 18, 2009 - 09:19 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Yeah that's what happens on more serious warps. Static will be due to other influences though, from unavoidable things like room temperature / humidity to simply using a carbon fibre brush to clean the vinyl before you drop the needle. Warped records were pretty common from the 80s here in the UK, the early 90s went back to high quality pressings and it's kind of been good since then. It's foreign pressings, mostly American, that still suffer from terrible pressing quality now and then. It started being hit and miss out there in the early 70s and has never really recovered Confused If you're serious about buying new vinyl (as in you pay 'new' prices) maybe look for new issues from European countries like the UK or Germany or perhaps from Japan. Mail order is always going to be a problem but they might have a returns policy... Although it's been quite a while for you. You don't tend to notice warps sometimes until it's on your TT and it's rolling up and down like the sea!

MSteveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 18, 2009 - 12:33 PM
Level 3
Level 3

*sigh*

Yeah I don't think I can return the records I bought a while ago. Pretty disappointing all the same. Many of the records I buy are from smaller independent bands here in Canadian so there is usually only one pressing.

At least in the future I'll know a problem as soon as I get the record and then maybe getting a return will be more feasible.

RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 20, 2009 - 12:23 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Quote:
You don't tend to notice warps sometimes until it's on your TT and it's rolling up and down like the sea!

I have one record that if you watch the tone arm going up and down on it you would get sea sick! Miraculously, it plays fine.

MSteveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 23, 2009 - 11:58 AM
Level 3
Level 3

I'm actually starting to believe its not the warp in the record that is causing the problems but an actual manufacturing defect.

One of the failing records is a special limited edition version that is actually clear. One the clear record I can see this sort of random 'waves' going through it... at first I thought they looked cool but on second thought I don't think they are supposed to be there. I'll try to post a picture later today.

MSteveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 23, 2009 - 09:18 PM
Level 3
Level 3

Here's a picture. Anyone seen this sort of thing before?

WTTNS.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.99 KB
 Viewed:  523 Time(s)

WTTNS.JPG

RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2009 - 11:44 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I have a record that is new and made of yellow vinyl. It has some of those waves, but not to that extent, yet the sound is very good. I think it is more likely an uneven distribution of the color.

As for the poor sound, it's probably the warp. Also, the record may have been made of recycled vinyl, causing the static, or as has been previously suggested caused by the environment.

Jump to: