The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
vinylhunterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 02, 2010 - 12:31 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

On the flip side, I broke down and started listing some decent stuff for $4 ea. See Records thread. Sold 44 of them in less than a day. Go figure.
I'm actually thinking of doing a local show in 2 weeks with the leftovers from here plus a few boxes of more collectible stuff.

Reply with quote Back to top
mojo525Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 02, 2010 - 02:01 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Please don't mistake my post for callousness or naivete. I'm certainly not trying to diminish anyone else's feelings or frustrations and I don't dismiss the value of planning ahead. It's just not for me. My personal belief about what happens to my collection after I die is that I simply don't care. I'm more concerned about leaving the massive bulk and weight of the collection for someone else to dispose of. 10,000 lps, 5,000 45s, a few thousands CDs and 78s. Various and assorted hi-fi components. It's going to be work for someone pulling all of that crap out of my man cave.
The value? Who cares? Whether they fall into the dump, or into the hands of someone who would love my records as much as I do makes no difference to me. I'll be dead. If my wife or kids want to try and get monetary value from my collection, they're more than welcome to. My wife knows the name of two good and trusted shop owners/collectors to call if she wants to go that route.
That all aside, though -- my collection is and has been a labor of love. I don't collect for posterity. I don't collect to feather my nest. I do it because I enjoy it in the present. I wring all the joy I could expect -- and more -- from hunting for records and listening to records. They don't owe me anything more and I don't expect anything more.

MacJazzOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 02, 2010 - 04:19 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Moj, I would agree with you. I collected because i enjoyed the music, frequently taught with the records and felt like I was making my life better.

I got into selling records in the early 90s because I was traveling all over the state where I lived and actually had quite a bit of free time while doing so. (You go for a specific appointment time which is usually met, (but not always). You still have time to kill and often are spending a night or two. I got where I knew most Goodies, Sallys and general thrifts across the state and was able to check them on a regular basis. Soon other collectors started saying "if you see a clean copy of this...." and I was in the record providing business. When EBay came along, it was a natural. I was able to find marketable items and felt like I was making money, but also doing a service for other listeners.

Much of that is behind me now. I no longer travel or teach. I don't even play them nearly as much because we can't hear each other talk over the sound. I can turn the TV and on and off with the remote but don't have that kind of capacity for records. Best wife has dementia. When she does talk it is usually significant and (I promise) she is only going to get it out once. The music becomes an issue.

I thought enough of my records that I moved over 10,000 to Florida with me (many of which are still in storage after 8 years). Now due to the dementia we are looking at an ALF. The recession (whatever you want to call it) shut down EBay to all intents and purposes and I really am looking at a lot of records that may be shoveled out the door if something happens. Iím interested in selling and/or all serious discussions on doing things with them and even tried listing them here.

Now we are back to the top of this post.

mojo525Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 02, 2010 - 04:52 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

You have my most sincere sympathies, Mart. I hope I don't ever have to figure out what to do with a collection I can no longer maintain and/or house. That labor of love I spoke of earlier then becomes a Sophie's Choice kind of agony that I want no part of. I guess I'd better die suddenly, while still owning a big house. But I see your point, Mart, and know --- from watching my grandmother, my aunt and my mother-in-law be forced into an assisted care facility, able to take only a fraction of their belongings with them --- that my chance of dying suddenly with my man-cave intact is no slam-dunk. Thus, I realize there is an element of naivete in my previous post.
Maybe I'll take a lesson from my beloved grandmother (my other one, who was able to die in her own home). (n her time, she was one of the most respected stamp collectors in the Midwest, featured in Linn's, etc. When she got older, she started selling off her collection a piece at a time. She once told me that her goal was to get at least one check in the mail every day until the day she died. She didn't care how big or how small that check was. She just wanted it to arrive, and it became her personal game. I never asked, but knowing her, she may well have realized that goal.
Man, I loved her.

Jump to: