The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
RJOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 27, 2007 - 05:00 AM
Level 1
Level 1

Hii guys, I'm sort of "renewed or reborn" to all of the record stuff. 1st time posting. Just got back into them in the past few years. I'm a record junkie too. About 7,000 33's 45's & 78's. I too have found that playing a record in reverse will remove some scratches/skips. Sometimes "wet playing" helps while reverse playing too. The method I've found that works the best most often is using a light tonearm gram weight. Works better than a heavy one for me. -The light weight usually blows the old coin on the tonearm trick out of the water. Some records may skip at 1.5 grams but not at the lighter weight. Maybe .5 grams playing backwards then forwards a few times. Then gradually increasing the tonearm weight, back & forth. Patience helps, it can take awhile.. Sometimes even a little spray wax can help while doing this. Needles/stylus build up a lot of heat, wax can help cool it off. When done on vinyl, use alcohol to remove the wax. (don't use alcohol on 78's though!) To me unfortunately, I've taken out quite a few this way it's pretty much trial & error. An unrepairable skip on a lp or 45 is almost as bad as the 78 with the crack or chunk out of it. I just play what I can get out of it on the 33's & 45's. The reverse playing generally quiets down an old scratchy record too. But, there are those few that just don't work out. That's my someday to play with stack. Thankfully it's not to big! Oh yah , I tried that Groove Glide spray & threw it away. It just clogged up the stylus & put chunks of grit all over the record.Some even got clogged in the grooves and made the stylus skip. Not fun at the time & price either! (Spray wax works better for me.)

Reply with quote Back to top
kenoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 27, 2007 - 01:20 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

what do ypu guys mean by " playing a record backwards '? How the heck do you play
it backwards?

One of us has to go!!

OnTheRecordOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 27, 2007 - 01:35 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I have Bo Diddley's 1st album in what would be NM/NM, except for a skip in track one, Side one. I'm going to put a conical cartridge on my Dual 1019, and run that area backward (by hand, with the TT unplugged) a few times. If that let's this album track through, that would be a great thing! Even if there's a single remaining tick...

vnixonjrOffline
Post subject: ???  PostPosted: Apr 06, 2007 - 03:23 PM
Level 3
Level 3

Back Cueing...is this done manually (simply put the needle to the grove and turn the record backwards with your hand???)

GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: ???  PostPosted: Apr 06, 2007 - 06:42 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Do not try this trick unless you know the cartridge will withstand the forces involved. Reverse playing will wreck many high quality stylus assemblies.

Similarly, playing with a too low tracking force, as suggested earlier, can cause irreversible damage to the record.

As for spray wax - I wouldn't let that sort of stuff anywhere near a record.

accelor8Offline
Post subject: RE: ???  PostPosted: Jan 07, 2010 - 08:24 PM
Level 2
Level 2

hw does low tracking force damage a record? I thought too much weight would do damage.

GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: ???  PostPosted: Jan 08, 2010 - 04:22 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Blimey - it took 2 1/2 years to ask that question Smile .

If you track too lightly, the stylus does not sit in the groove properly and gets thrown from side to side. This damages the groove walls.

And yes, too much tracking force will also damage the record - that's why there is a 'recommended range' tracking force for different cartridge/stylus models. Somewhere within that range should be the oprtimum tracking force.

Jump to: