The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
fromphilly1247Offline
Post subject: Suggestion for new sub-category: "audiophile" reis  PostPosted: Dec 30, 2009 - 10:20 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

There's that dreaded word.....

With the glut of reissues currently on the market, I think it would be a great idea to have a section dedicated to reviewing them. Some of these reissues can be a bit pricey, so I think we would all like to know whether these are indeed worth the cash. As we've seen from some of our members, many are ripoffs but there are just as many great reissue labels out there that are helping to keep our hobby alive. I'm thinking specifically of the 180/200 gram/ audiophile pressings that have become so common in the last decade, but I would like to see others included as well.

In addition, if you by chance have an original or later pressing of whichever album you're reviewing that you can A/B against the reissue in terms of sound, packaging, etc., I believe that would be a fantastic resource to all collectors. Most of us only have so much money we can spend on this hobby, so I think it would be a benefit to everyone currently caught up in reissue fever to know that their money is being well spent.

Thoughts? Comments?

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/markoneill1968

Last edited by fromphilly1247 on Dec 30, 2009 - 10:35 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 30, 2009 - 10:30 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I've never bought a modern reissue, not my thing, but I'd be into getting the mono Sgt Pepper remaster if that's coming out on vinyl. Now there's older reissues that I think are pretty cool:

B_big.Offline
Post subject: Re: Suggestion for new sub-category: "audiophile"  PostPosted: Feb 05, 2010 - 09:46 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

fromphilly1247 wrote:
There's that dreaded word ... // ... so I think it would be a benefit to everyone currently caught up in reissue fever to know that their money is being well spent.

Thoughts? Comments?
( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool
    Well I don't know?! I post my opinion regarding the 'High Quality' (180 / 200 gram) vinyl reissues more often on the 'The Son of ... Today's Finds' or on the 'What's On Your Turntable or MPD Right NOW (continued)??' forum. There's very little feedback, the only member who's interested in these kind of recordings is 'Goldfish' as far as I can see.
    And if somebody is responding, then to state, that all the 'High Quality' stuff is a hype! These kind comments are mostly from our well known 'cheapskates' and some dealers, who might be scary, that their benefit could be shortened.

Nevertheless, I'm interested in such a forum. I have bought quite a few of these reissues during the last three years. Another label for outstanding high quality reissues that I love is the 'Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab'. One more label for heavy weight (180 gram) vinyl reissues, that I would like to recommend is 'DOXY Records'.

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

JGH1Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: Suggestion for new sub-category: "audiophile&qu  PostPosted: Feb 05, 2010 - 03:21 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

philly, I'll start the ball rolling for you. I've purchased audiophile titles for 30+ years and heartily approve of your idea.

"Odessey & Oracle" - The Zombies. I have an original US Date pressing. My neighbor recently purchased a reissue on 180-gram....if you need the particulars on the reissue (label, country of origin, etc.), I'll get them from him. The high-end response on this 180-gram pressing is way out of line, very exaggerated. I tried to listen to it on several occasions but it ended up back in its sleeve after only 2 or 3 tracks. The cover was flimsy as well.

weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Suggestion for new sub-category: "audiophile&am  PostPosted: Feb 05, 2010 - 09:26 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I'm for this one, y'all. I don't know if it should be in the Reviews forum if that's what you have in mind. We could have a thread for AUDIOPHILE RECORDS and discuss them. Whatever, I like it and it is certainly worth singling out in its own forum.

WOOHOO!

B_big.Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: Suggestion for new sub-category: "audiophil  PostPosted: Feb 06, 2010 - 06:01 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

weletthegoldfishgo wrote:
. . . Whatever, I like it and it is certainly worth singling out in its own forum.

WOOHOO!
( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool
    I knew you probably would love this idea. I'm glad you do!

B_big.Offline
15 Post subject: Another fantastic reissue  PostPosted: Feb 06, 2010 - 09:47 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: Suggestion for new sub-category: "audiophil  PostPosted: Feb 06, 2010 - 01:23 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

weletthegoldfishgo wrote:
I'm for this one, y'all. I don't know if it should be in the Reviews forum if that's what you have in mind. We could have a thread for AUDIOPHILE RECORDS and discuss them. Whatever, I like it and it is certainly worth singling out in its own forum.

WOOHOO!

Yes, this certainly makes sense. Let's use the existing "Reviews" forum.

I personally have bought numerous "audiophile" reissues in the past few years. I've found them to be of generally high quality. As I don't usually own an original, I've had little chance to make such comparisons.

kat1370Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 06, 2010 - 02:44 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Have at it, fellas!!

You can find the forum HERE. Or, just look for it under "Reviews" on the Forum Index page.

sb11
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2010 - 07:29 PM
Level 4
Level 4

I'm in too. I purchase these fairly regularly. Most are very good to magnificent in sound quality and packaging especially the Classic Records reissues. I hve the Who's, A Quick One and Sell Out in mono, The Pretty Things first UK reissue, All the Bob Dylan Sundazed mono reissues, The Small Faces UK first albums, Decca and Immediate labels, A Charley Patton Complete Recording box set and a Son House reissue of his 1965 Columbia album. All are top flight as compared to the originals, which I also have. I try to save my originals and use these as my main play copies. I do break out my originals and play those as well but not as much.

Jump to: