The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
oldbillclarkeOffline
Post subject: The End Of The World by Skeeter Davis  PostPosted: Jul 04, 2010 - 03:12 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Produced by Chet Atkins, this heart wrenching lament to lost love is one of my all-time favorite hit singles from the 1960's. This, like many RCA Victor country records of this era, was aimed at the pop market with just a mild country flavor that some hard core country people loathed. They don't know what they missed.

Reply with quote Back to top
mpgalvinOffline
Post subject: RE: The End Of The World by Skeeter Davis  PostPosted: Jul 04, 2010 - 04:29 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Old Bill, like you this song is a personal favorite of mine. I'm also equally fond of her 1960 hit "My Last Date (with you)" which was the B side to "(I Can't Help You) I'm Falling Too".

Anyone have any old Davis Sisters 45s from when Skeeter was singing with Betty Jack Davis (no relation) prior to their tragic car accident killing Betty in 1953?

LoneStarStompOffline
Post subject: RE: The End Of The World by Skeeter Davis  PostPosted: Jul 04, 2010 - 05:01 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Skeeter was, imo, barely country at this point. She was being pushed at a different market than say Patsy Cline.

She's got a number from this period called "Sunglasses" that is extraordinarily odd.

Jump to: