The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ScoobyDooOffline
Post subject: Record Flattening Services w/ Furutech or Air Tight setups  PostPosted: Apr 25, 2009 - 11:28 AM
Level 3
Level 3

I thought it would be a good idea to devote a thread solely to services that will flatten your records using this technology.

I know Cosmos Records in Toronto Canada offers the service. Anyone know of others that do?

Anyone want to post their experiences using one of these services?

Reply with quote Back to top
ScoobyDooOffline
Post subject: RE: Record Flattening Services w/ Furutech or Air Tight setu  PostPosted: Jun 13, 2009 - 09:45 PM
Level 3
Level 3

Just want to give a good word to the Audio Archive out in the bay area in California. I was very impressed with how they were able to flatten two rare Chess LP's I have. Weren't able to get them 100 percent flat, but did a very nice job nonetheless. Highly recommended.

hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: RE: Record Flattening Services w/ Furutech or Air Tight  PostPosted: Jun 13, 2009 - 09:47 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Just want to give a good word to the Audio Archive out in the bay area in California. I was very impressed with how they were able to flatten two rare Chess LP's I have. Weren't able to get them 100 percent flat, but did a very nice job nonetheless. Highly recommended.

What did they charge, if I may ask?

gbfrank
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Record Flattening Services w/ Furutech or Air Ti  PostPosted: Jun 14, 2009 - 09:24 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I'm very interested in the cost. I have a couple 45s with warps that I'dlike smooothed out.

ScoobyDooOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Record Flattening Services w/ Furutech or Air Tight  PostPosted: Jun 15, 2009 - 05:21 PM
Level 3
Level 3

hrtshpdbox wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:

What did they charge, if I may ask?

$50 for two LP's, which included the cost of return shipping (I live in Florida). As per prior agreement, the cardboard mailer I sent was used both ways.

I should add one limitation--if the vinyl is thicker in the center of the disc than the outer part, then the outer part of the record cannot be flattened to anything less than the center thickness. Not sure how to state this more clearly.

lampros77Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Record Flattening Services w/ Furutech or Air Tight  PostPosted: Jun 16, 2009 - 12:46 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

ScoobyDoo wrote:
I should add one limitation--if the vinyl is thicker in the center of the disc than the outer part, then the outer part of the record cannot be flattened to anything less than the center thickness. Not sure how to state this more clearly.

It is very clear, thanks for the info mate.

There goes my hope for flattening 45s though Smile

Rafter242Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Record Flattening Services w/ Furutech or Air Ti  PostPosted: Sep 23, 2009 - 10:25 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Quoted from a website....
"Furutech makes a device called the DF-2 that can flatten most warped records and sells for $2065. Obviously having a record that is flat is desirable, but many of the home-brewed methods designed to eliminate warped discs (including cooking them in an oven at low temperatures) always seemed risky, time-consuming and troublesome. No personal experience with this one, but looks like a well-designed piece. Just make sure to follow the restrictions regarding certain types of records it won't work on. [It requires 20 minutes or more per LP to flatten...Ed.]"

Eurorocker79Offline
Post subject: DF-1 Record Flatter  PostPosted: Sep 06, 2010 - 12:30 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am a pretty heavy collector and I just wanted to share my record flatter experience. I moved to Japan last year and recently bought the older model (the ORB DF-1 record flatter).

I've been using it to flatten the warped psych and prog records I find in Osaka (40 degrees celsius this summer... nasty).

Most of the time it works great, not perfect but the LPs play a play a lot better that when I bought them. Keep in mind that some severely warped LPs have groove damage and come out a little crackly... but other than that this thing works like a charm.

Just for the record, I got mine for 67,000 yen (around $800), and the DF-2 goes for about $1100 although they stopped making them both now. The brand new DF-3 is worth $2200 but nobody seems to have them outside of Osaka (they are made here). Those are the real Japan retail prices... if you want one, don't let the Ebayers kill you!!

Cheers all,
John

Jump to: