The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
vfrecordsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 29, 2009 - 12:08 PM
Level 5
Level 5

As the words typed into the title body help send it through a search engine, I have always wanted to know why so many people will use that space to write ( WOW ) or ( LOOK ) or better yet ( LQQK )
I have never used those words while doing a search and wouldnt even open an auction that did.

Reply with quote Back to top
soib45Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 15, 2009 - 09:28 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Rare is also a dangerous word.If one has something rare ,it had better be,or it could come back to bite when 10 more pop up next week in an auction,and you get an email complaining from a buyer.To determine how rare most of the time takes a lot of research as we all know.Many on Ebay simply don't care imo.Whatever bullet point they can stick in to juice it ,they do.Much the same as the word antique.How many times have we seen something made in 1976 with the word antique after it,little caring that an antique is at least 100 years.I also agree as posted about the use of flowery hyping.Enough.Its such a turn off to me.When I have to scroll scroll scroll just to get to the description past all the hype..My selling approach is the Joe Friday method.....Just the facts,and plenty of them.

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 15, 2009 - 09:39 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

soib45 wrote:
Rare is also a dangerous word.If one has something rare ,it had better be,or it could come back to bite when 10 more pop up next week in an auction,and you get an email complaining from a buyer.

If I think something is truly rare, and that it might help my auction results to say so, I'll say "rare" (or, actually, "RARE") in the subject line. Also, if I'm including a sound clip, I'll try to squeeze "HEAR" or "LISTEN" into the subject line as well. I'm sure that no one searches for words like RARE or HEAR or LISTEN, but that's not the only way that people find and see subject line info.

annaloogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 15, 2009 - 11:19 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

soib45 wrote:
... little caring that an antique is at least 100 years....
In the USA, many types of items are considered antiques at age 50, although automobiles qualify for that status at 25 years.

Last edited by annaloog on Dec 15, 2009 - 11:22 PM; edited 1 time in total

ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 15, 2009 - 11:21 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

http://cgi.ebay.ca/LP-CAMEL-SNOW-GOOSE-Orig-UK-DECCA-1975-Psych-Rare_W0QQitemZ380184391576QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item5884c16f98

I think this guy does it to a tee. Even with a fairly common record like this, he makes it look so enticing, but he is selling some mega rare and awesome records. Each auction makes me want the record he's selling. Thorough descriptions, and immaculate photography.

prancinghorseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 15, 2009 - 11:35 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

ChadFromCanada wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/LP-CAMEL-SNOW-GOOSE-Orig-UK-DECCA-1975-Psych-Rare_W0QQitemZ380184391576QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item5884c16f98

I think this guy does it to a tee. Even with a fairly common record like this, he makes it look so enticing, but he is selling some mega rare and awesome records. Each auction makes me want the record he's selling. Thorough descriptions, and immaculate photography.

ah, my friend ecki - I have to agree that his descriptions are not the worst

ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 15, 2009 - 11:52 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

prancinghorse wrote:
ChadFromCanada wrote:

If he's a collector, and not just a dealer, judging by what he's getting rid of he must have an awesome collection. So many great records up for sale.

prancinghorseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 16, 2009 - 02:48 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

ChadFromCanada wrote:
prancinghorse wrote:
ChadFromCanada wrote:

If he's a collector, and not just a dealer, judging by what he's getting rid of he must have an awesome collection. So many great records up for sale.

He is both, collector and dealer..

ach011blau (Gerhard) is another collector and dealer, he now deals with records for a living. He often gets a premium on his offers which rarely anybody else gets, just check out his finished items..

ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 16, 2009 - 11:07 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

prancinghorse wrote:
ChadFromCanada wrote:
prancinghorse wrote:
ChadFromCanada wrote:

He is both, collector and dealer..

ach011blau (Gerhard) is another collector and dealer, he now deals with records for a living. He often gets a premium on his offers which rarely anybody else gets, just check out his finished items..

Wow, he`s got some great rarities, including a copy of Jerusalem up for sale, in `dream condition`.

weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 30, 2010 - 09:45 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I also include what grading system I use for grading records and covers. And in my case it's GOLDMINE grading standards.

Jump to: