The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SillypsybinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 29, 2009 - 11:42 AM
Level 2
Level 2

And a lot of people may not realize that they were in fact the best sounding alternative at the time to the stock mono AM radio that most cars were equipped with. At first 8 tracks even sounded superior to cassettes because the tape speed was twice that of cassette. Most importantly, you could choose what you wanted to hear, which was a really big deal. Prior to this, you were always at the mercy of the disc jockey when it came to programming... and as obnoxious as the premature fade outs on the 8 tracks could be, it was actually less annoying than having to listen to the stupid dj's who just couldn't shut up and would talk right over the music....

Don't get me wrong though - I still hate 'em. It's just that at the time, the year they came out, they seemed amazing compared to everything else that was otherwise available. Believe it or not, they actually were state of the art for a short period of time.

Reply with quote Back to top
hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 29, 2009 - 11:49 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Sillypsybin wrote:
Believe it or not, they actually were state of the art for a short period of time.

No question about it, it was the way to go for awhile. I remember the day in 1975 that I got an Audiovox 8-track player installed in my Volvo, ran right over to E.J. Corvette's to buy Physical Graffiti, and hit the road to drive up to college with "Kashmir" blasting over and over. 'Twas heaven. And car cassettes did exist by then, too, but there were still so many more titles available on 8-track than cassette.

Meanwhile, as per Neil's Archives, got a chance to play with a (DVD, not Blue-Ray) copy last weekend, truly an amazing compilation of early Neil stuff. If someone isn't a Neil fan I'm sure it's not even worthy of notice, but for fans it's just one jaw-dropping moment after another.

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 30, 2009 - 01:35 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

More on 8-tracks (sorry, Neil): apparently Cheap Trick released their latest album on 8-Track, and maybe only 8-Track ?? And it's 30 dollars??

kidcoleOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2011 - 09:00 PM
Level 3
Level 3

Great Review! Sorry for posting late in the game here; I am a new member. I always wanted to see Journey Through The Past. Any way to get it without buying the whole set (wish I could but you know how it goes. . .)? I am glad he remastered some of the early albums. The music is great and I know he was never satisfied with the sound so hopefully he is happy with how they sound now. I especially love the Squires stuff.

Thanks again for the review.

Cole.

Jump to: