The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
B_big.Offline
26 Post subject: Japanese 'Hyper Magnum Sound' - releases  PostPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 04:46 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool
    'Venus Records' - Japan:

First of all an excerpt out of a review of 'all-about-jazz'

Venus Records has built quite a loyal following among jazz aficionados who frequent online music sources. When Tetsuo Hara, the owner and founder decided to launch his own record company in 1992, Todd Barkan, a veteran of many decades in the business, was an obvious choice as a collaborator.
      Tetsuo makes all of the final decisions. Once recording is completed, Hara takes the music home to do the final remixing and mastering in his self-described 'Hyper Magnum Sound' (24bit mastering), a registered trade mark.
      A very remakable comment about his label and the general aim by Tetsuo Hara:
      "Venus Jazz recordings reflect my total artistic concept of music, cover art and overall sound quality that I most prefer and choose. When these recordings appeal and resonate well with a lot of listeners in the world, that makes me very happy."

I stumbled across my first vinyl recording of the 'Venus' label through a review of Nicki Parrott's 'Moon River' which I read in the web somewhere, I can't exactly remeber were it was anymore. But what made me totally curious about these Japanese releases was the description of their sound and the outstanding professional and clean produced vinyl recordings. I searched the entire web to find a copy of 'Moon River', but unfortunately without any success until today! But let me report the events in the sequence that they've happened. Very disappointed about the fact that I couldn't track down a single copy of this album, neither in Europe or America, nor in Australia or Japan, I decided to do the next best thing that came to my mind. I bought the 'Fly Me to the Moon' album from a very helpful Spanish on-line dealer who originally offered the 'Moon River' LP in his listing on 'MusicStack', but when I ordered he informed me that it isn't available any more. The same happened to me with an Australian on-line store.
    Finally I decided to place an add on 'MusicStack', and it took just two days before a Dutch dealer offered me a copy of the 'Moon River' album. I was more than delighted to hear, that he obviously could obtain a copy, and in the end he did. Now I'm the proud owner of the two vinyl releases that were produced by 'Venus Records'.
    I think, it's no secret anymore, that I'm hooked on female vocalists, especially if they sing emotionally and mellifluous. Nicki Parrott is a prime example for this kind of woman, I was addicted to her voice and music immediately, I couldn't do anything against. It's exactly this smooth, emotional and yearning vocal jazz that I love, mellow, warm, and grounded, but never dull or even boring. I don't want to put pressure on you through my romanticizing description any longer.

At present I own three vinyl records from 'Venus Records', a fourth is on it's way to me and I'm about to order the third vinyl LP of Mrs. Parrott, 'Black Coffee', released 2011-01-19.
    All I can do is to strongly recommend the releases of this label to any collector that can agree with my slogan: (Sound-) Qualitiy really does matter!

Here are the records I have, I'm awaiting or would like to purchase:

Nicki Parrott - 'Moon River' (Venus Records - TKJV-19194, 2008)
      Nicki Parrott - 'Fly Me to the Moon' (Venus Records - VHJD-21, 2009)
        This album contains the most seductive cover version of 'Do It Again' [George Gershwin / Buddy DeSylva], that I've ever heard. Even an old and grumpy gink like me suddenly feels tempted again to remember the 'fever' that is caused by this lovely luring , after all these years.

Simone - 'Let's Fall In Love' (Venus Records - VHJD-19, 2009)

Simone - 'Taking a Chance on Love' (Venus Records - TKJV--19183, 2007) pending
        I discovered this young Austrian woman while browsing the 'Venus Records' vinyl section and were really caught by her cover version of 'Harry Nilsson's' 'Everybody's Talikin''

Nicki Parrott - 'Black Coffee' (Venus Records - VHJD-41, 2011) waiting for

If someone is interested in further details, please let me know, in this case I'm be delighted to assist. I've attached a few pic's for you to make this whole review a little more (visual) attractive for you.

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

Reply with quote Back to top
B_big.Offline
Post subject: 'Moon River'  PostPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 04:58 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool
    The front cover of 'Moon River', the one that I've 'hunted' for about half a year.
    'Fly Me to the Moon', the first Venus Records release I bought, it's the one that convinced me absolutely about the sound quality of this label's vinyl releases.

B_big.Offline
Post subject: 'Let's Fall In Love' & 'Black Coffee'  PostPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 05:06 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool
    'Let's Fall In Love' - Simone and the recent release of Nicki Parrott - 'Black Coffee'

Jump to: