The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SpectreGeneralOffline
Post subject: Weird Problem (bit of a technical question)  PostPosted: Jul 28, 2011 - 07:08 PM
Level 3
Level 3

Ok, so I transfer my vinyls regularly, but I recently noticed that the times of the rips I had were off from the times stated on the label. I took this to mean that my record player was spinning a bit too fast, and unlike many older models (I have a pretty cheap Sony that's relatively new) it does not have a speed control. I actually spent $30 to have the player fixed, and it worked fine. However yesterday when I was ripping something I heard it change speeds and sure enough, when I compared the time recorded to the time on the label, it was a bit off.

Doing some ridiculous math, I was able to determine that my player is spinning at 35.03 rpms instead of 33.3. I haven't tested it with 45s but I'm sure it's off there as well. I have a belt driven turntable.

Does anybody know WHAT could cause this? It's really annoying.

Reply with quote Back to top
CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: Weird Problem (bit of a technical question)  PostPosted: Jul 28, 2011 - 11:29 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Belt drive turntables that lack electronic speed control must rely solely on pulley ratio and the belt itself to maintain accurate speed. Poor speed accuracy is probably inherent in your "cheap" turntable's design. For example, if the motor pulley and corresponding platter surface (that the belt drives) are made of cheap injection molded plastic, the variations (loose tolerances) in the parts will cause speed variations and possibly wow & flutter. Another possiblility is a loose or worn belt.

I wouldn't rely upon the running time indicated on a record label, as they're sometimes inaccurate. You can download a free strobe disc from the vinylengine website, print it out and use it to check speed accuracy on your turntable. Or, you can put a small piece of white tape on the edge of the platter, turn on the turntable and count the revolutions in a timed minute.

http://www.vinylengine.com/strobe-discs.shtml

If you can't get the speed on your Sony to run true at 33 1/3, you might as well cut your losses and look for a better turntable. I'd suggest hitting the thrift shops and garage sales. Look for a better quality vintage turnable, preferably a quartz-locked direct drive model. For example, I've got a Pioneer PL-300 that I do a lot of transfers on. It is dead-on accurate, sounds great and cost only twenty bucks at a thrift.

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: