The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
prancinghorseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 23, 2009 - 02:02 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

After reviewing the more jazzy side of Krautrock the last time I think it is time for the dark side again..
    McChurch Soundroom – Delusion

was released on
    BASF / Pilz 20 21103-7 in 1972

Re-issues are available on
    Ohrwaschl OWLP 014 (2000?)

CD release is available from Ohrwaschl with catalogue no. OWA 012A

This album is pricewise a killer, NM copies easily get US$600 to 700 with exceptional copies hitting the four digit figures area on occasion. Re-issues on the other hand are available for around US$30 to US$50 on a regular basis.

McChurch Soundroom was not a German band, the boys were from Basel / Switzerland instead. The line-up for there debut (and their only release) was:
    Sandy McChurch [Sandro Chiesa] (vocals, flute)
    Heiner Althaus (guitar)
    Alain Veltin (organ)
    Kurt Hafen (bass)
    Norbert "Nobbi" Jud (drums)

The jacket gives you the impression what to expect from this album: The (in my eyes cool) jacket shows a skull covered by melting candle wax – a at least obscure jacket.

The first track “Delusion” starts as an acoustic song which could have been done by Jethro Tull (and this not only because of the flute, the voice of Sandro reminds of Ian Anderson on occasion). As the song progresses it adopts a bluesy undertone driven by electric guitar and the Hammond organ and gets more progressive (a friend of mine mentioned once that this sounds a bit like Yes). Finally the boys jam like mad and towards the end the songs turns acoustic again. The second track “Dream of a drummer” (btw the longest with 9:24 minutes) has got some nice guitar riffs but it also “features” one of those useless drum solos which I think was the naming factor for the song. It is instrumental and mainly driven by guitar and bass. “Time is flying” opens again with drums and then guitar, organ and flute take their turns. The instruments pick up the themes and are supported by some vocals. The first track on side B “What are you doin” is an anti-drug song (who really believes that message on an early Kraurock album??) – nevertheless this song is in my eyes the best one on the entire album. It starts with the organ which creates some dark mood (in the vein of Black Sabbath?). Vocals join in and are followed by the flute. Guitar is driving it further before the organ takes over again. The last two tracks “Trouble Part I” and “Trouble Part II” could have been easily one song but the band split it into two. Both tracks are pure instrumentals and are dominated by flute and organ – here we find some kind of Jazz influence.
The band has been influenced by Jethro Tull, Black Sabbath and UFO just to name a few and is one of the Krautrock milestones in my eyes. Producer for this album was Conny Plank btw.

Reply with quote Back to top
dkurtis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 23, 2009 - 02:23 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I love this album.

As I crawl a cracked and broken path
If we make it we can all sit back
And laugh
But I fear tomorrow I'll be crying
Yes I fear tomorrow I'll be crying.
-Epitaph-

prancinghorseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 23, 2009 - 02:34 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I love it too Don

ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 23, 2009 - 08:50 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Cool review. It's neat to see a review for something I just saw a few weeks ago on ebay going for big bucks.

Baron_Saturday
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 24, 2009 - 01:44 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

After reading that I review, I just had to buy it (on CD, of course).

ShadySamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 26, 2009 - 08:37 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Baron_Saturday wrote:
After reading that I review, I just had to buy it (on CD, of course).

Well if da cvr is an accurate gauge of the LP content, that sucker piques my interest as well... Cool Cool

ShadySamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 06, 2010 - 09:16 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Had to hear this- just listened to it, & have to agree it's a good-un. I like that proggy flute.
That 1st track is nice.

DeadDogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 01, 2011 - 07:26 PM
Level 5
Level 5

looks like a kick ass record! gonna try to pick up a copy of the CD to give it a sample. nice review, thanks!

Rafter242Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 02, 2011 - 08:02 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Glad to see a bunch of other RCG'ers enjoying Prog/Krautrock. I've been collecting such titles since the mid-80's and I love it.
I am working on completing my run of titles on the Brain label and am heading back over to Europe in a couple weeks to see what else I can dig up. Cool

SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 02, 2011 - 09:43 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Rafter242 wrote:
Glad to see a bunch of other RCG'ers enjoying Prog/Krautrock. I've been collecting such titles since the mid-80's and I love it.
I am working on completing my run of titles on the Brain label and am heading back over to Europe in a couple weeks to see what else I can dig up. Cool

So what do you need yet on the Brain label,Rafter ?

Jump to: