The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
lplives.comOffline
Post subject: General Questoins about Picture Discs  PostPosted: Oct 10, 2011 - 08:28 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Are picture discs purely collector's items? Meaning, do they have the same sound quality as non-picture disc pressings?

Reply with quote Back to top
rooster
Post subject: RE: General Questoins about Picture Discs  PostPosted: Oct 10, 2011 - 08:57 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

in my opinion, picture discs generally don't even come close to the fidelity of a normal issue.

rooster

ShadySamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 11, 2011 - 06:59 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

yeah, they're neat to hang on the wall & look at, but totally agree with the rooster...

Battler1814Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 11, 2011 - 10:08 AM
Level 4
Level 4

It's two pieces of low-quality clear crap sandwiching a really pretty picture. It seems that perfection control is not exactly taken into account when it comes to picture discs. They pop, they skip, they cause the stylus to jump all around if they were done really poorly. They are strictly just collector's items.

And all that you've ever learned, try to forget.

cococrispOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 11, 2011 - 11:33 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I would disagree. I have complete runs of picture discs, the UK group Madness put most of their singles out on PD and David Bowie has a 10 disc "Fashion" set with his most popular singles on it. They all sound superb. In fact most of the picture disc's I have from the UK, from the 80's and bought new, sound superb.

I think many people did treat them as art and hung them on their wall, were not careful handling them and did not keep them in sleeves. This was the most likely factor contributing to their 'poor' sound quality.

Jump to: