The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
malhowardOffline
22 Post subject: Cassette to digital conversion  PostPosted: Aug 19, 2011 - 08:05 AM
Level 4
Level 4

Hi there! I know this is the VINYL addicts board, but I figured ya'll might also know about converting cassette tapes to MP3. I have a few cassettes that my Mom would like converted to MP3/CD. I am currently equipped to convert vinyl but not tapes. I don't really want to buy the equipment- I have so few tapes it wouldn't be worth it! Do you all know of any service you can recommend?

THANKS in advance!
M.

Follow us on http://www.Twitter.com/oldtimevinyl

Reply with quote Back to top
GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: Cassette to digital conversion  PostPosted: Aug 19, 2011 - 09:30 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I imagine there are a few of us here who can do this. It all depends on where you are located?

Fifty-FiftyOffline
Post subject: RE: Cassette to digital conversion  PostPosted: Aug 19, 2011 - 11:09 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

What equipment are you missing? If you can convert LPs, the only other thing you need should be a cassette deck. I can't imagine they cost much at garage sales or on Craigs List.

Global_Dog_ProductionsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 19, 2011 - 09:00 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Ion "tape express" supposedly does this. Basically it is a tape player about the size of a Sony Walkman that connects with USB and in powered by the USB. I haven't tried it so I'm not sure how good it is. I bought one at Office Depot for $60.

malhowardOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 12, 2011 - 01:38 PM
Level 4
Level 4

Global_Dog_Productions wrote:
Ion "tape express" supposedly does this. Basically it is a tape player about the size of a Sony Walkman that connects with USB and in powered by the USB. I haven't tried it so I'm not sure how good it is. I bought one at Office Depot for $60.

Oh, HOW did it work??? Please update us on your results!

Thanks!
M.

GraemeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 12, 2011 - 02:03 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

For nearly every cassette tape you have to transfer, it's a fair bet you will need to alter the azimuth of the playback head. This is not particularly easy on many big decks, I suspect it will be nigh-on impossible on this thing (if it's anything like a Sony Walkman inside).

Do yourself a favour and forget all about this unit. There are plenty of second hand (and cheap) cassette players knocking around. If you are currently transferring records, you have everything else you need - except for a decent cassette player.

malhowardOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 15, 2011 - 07:57 AM
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all- thank you for the replies! Turns out it wasn't as hard as my feeble mind was making it. I run Audacity on an iMac, and got a cable from my boombox-type tape player's earphone jack to the iMac's mic jack. The preferences for input/output had to be changed, of course, but it is working fine for my purposes. Thanks again!
M.

Jump to: