The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ctguyOffline
Post subject: Test Pressing - Dead wax XRD BL 36660 -2A & XRD AL 36660  PostPosted: Oct 16, 2011 - 03:44 PM
Level 2
Level 2

I'm hoping someone can help me identify this test pressing. The album is a white label test pressing the sleeve only says AP-1 in the upper left in black print. The record itself only has XRD AL 36660 -2B and XRD BL 36660 -2A in the dead wax.

The test pressing label is from 1980 and says Test pressing - This is a test pressing intended for use in determining the technical quality of the recording only. It is not to be sold or distributed to the public 1980 CBS inc. The test pressing labels are blank except for a hand written p. concerto #1 on one label side.

It appears to be three tracks of varying length (by looking) on one side and the other is a full single track. I did listen to them and they are a Piano concerto.

Is it possible to "go backwards" and identify who or what this album is / was for I to help determine if it's rare and valuable? I'll gladly look at any links that maybe helpful I've Google for some time but cannot find any thing regarding the "XRD"

It's not... but it reminds me that it "could be" rare like a Piano concerto from Freddie Mercury's Barcelona if I can identify what the markings mean.

It may seem silly and waste if time - but I do remember hearing about two guys who found a deck chair at an auction so they purchased it (they believed it was one of only a few from the Titanic) - It took them two years going backwards from clues and markings on the chair to prove it but in the end - The rarity and value was worth the hunt.
Thnx.

Reply with quote Back to top
vinyl1Offline
Post subject: RE: Test Pressing - Dead wax XRD BL 36660 -2A & XRD AL 3  PostPosted: Oct 16, 2011 - 05:30 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Most experienced classical listeners would probably recognize the work immediately. Then you only have to look to see what versions Columbia had in print in 1980.

j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: Test Pressing - Dead wax XRD BL 36660 -2A & XRD AL 3  PostPosted: Oct 17, 2011 - 12:12 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Check this out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gilels-Mehta-Tchaikovsky-conc-1-CBS-36660-dig-live-/360167605127?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item53dba98387
CBS 36660 and it's a piano concerto. Coincidence?
There's probably samples of this piece online if you don't have one to compare with already.

namralosOffline
Post subject: RE: Test Pressing - Dead wax XRD BL 36660 -2A & XRD AL 3  PostPosted: Oct 17, 2011 - 05:06 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

XRD instead of XLP or XSM means that it's a digital release.

The catalog number of the finished record is IM 36660.

Since the recording was a live performance, it is likely that your test pressing sounds like the final release.

Global_Dog_ProductionsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 17, 2011 - 10:10 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

It may have been recorded in 1980 but it probably was pressed in 1981. I've keyed in all the Schwann catalogs from 1969 to the end of 1980 and this is a blank for me. The combined CBS US numbering system for LPs has major blanks you could fly the space shuttle through so this might be one of the "lost" numbers.

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help.

Andy

annaloogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 18, 2011 - 06:54 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

As j_loop mentioned, CBS Masterworks 36660 is the Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1, by Emil Gilels; NY Philharmonic conducted by Zubin Mehta, a 1979 digital recording of a "live performance"* issued in 1980.

Genuine test pressings of a particular title are relatively "rare", but without demand they have little "value", and there are a multitude of recordings of the Tchaikovsky piano concerto.

-------------------------
* Given Zubin Mehta's track record with these, there are very likely some overdubs.

ctguyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 18, 2011 - 10:37 AM
Level 2
Level 2

THANKS!! to all for helping to identify this I NEVER could have.

Ahh yes the - "rare", but without demand they have little "value" sceniero - Well guess this means it goes back into my collector box for another 20years maybe some future value - but now I know what I have.

annaloogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 19, 2011 - 07:08 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

For this particular issue, the 'trick' to identify the title is the AL 36660/BL 36660 (A- and B-side) matrix nos. If you have any familiarity with the US Columbia 30000 LP series, in most cases you can determine the record no. from the matrix nos.

ctguyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 23, 2011 - 12:55 PM
Level 2
Level 2

annaloog wrote:
For this particular issue, the 'trick' to identify the title is the AL 36660/BL 36660 (A- and B-side) matrix nos. If you have any familiarity with the US Columbia 30000 LP series, in most cases you can determine the record no. from the matrix nos.

Thanks again for the help and lesson.

Jump to: