The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
RNLSGCOffline
Post subject: Beatles Capitol Records Matrix Numbers  PostPosted: Nov 23, 2011 - 06:16 PM
Level 2
Level 2

I am wondering if one might be able to advise what the following matrix numbers would reveal for the following Beatles, Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Album?

Side 1 SMAS-1-2653-F-21

Side 2 SMAS-2-2653-A-10

Thanks in advance and Happy Thanks Giving

RNLSGC

Reply with quote Back to top
namralosOffline
Post subject: RE: Beatles Capitol Records Matrix Numbers  PostPosted: Nov 23, 2011 - 06:40 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

S = stereo
M = price code
A = one record
S = gatefold cover
then the side number
2653 = catalog number
F or A -- indicates the machine that made the metal parts
21 or 10 -- indicates the stamper used to press the record (in order, starting often with 1).

RNLSGCOffline
Post subject: RE: Beatles Capitol Records Matrix Numbers  PostPosted: Nov 23, 2011 - 06:41 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks!

annaloogOffline
Post subject: RE: Beatles Capitol Records Matrix Numbers  PostPosted: Nov 29, 2011 - 07:09 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Also see: Beatles Record Questions Sticky: Beatles US Capitol Matrix # Information.

namralosOffline
Post subject: RE: Beatles Capitol Records Matrix Numbers  PostPosted: Nov 29, 2011 - 11:43 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

"All my words come back to me in shades of mediocrity."

That page was taken from a post that I made to the USENET group rec.music.beatles in 1995.
It now has several errors on it, because my research expanded considerably since then.

For instance, the earlier page says that D was used for first pressing mono records. In a manner of speaking, that was true,
but we now know that "D" was just an indicator of the most common machine used to make the metal parts -- primarily for
the Los Angeles factory.

We also know that the White Album had no "problem" with banding. The album was banded, then it wasn't (briefly), then it was. The first "problem"
had to do with compressing and limiting the album, which is why so few copies exist with stampers below 33; the stampers were
destroyed. This was something I discovered after reading Beatles Book #66, which described George Harrison's trip to California.
Bruce Spizer investigated more and learned that George was upset, wanting the album to be just like the British LP.
Unbanded copies were made when it was debated HOW SIMILAR does the album have to be to its British counterpart --
which was unbanded. A few unbanded copies were made, after which they went back to banding...having decided that it didn't
matter. H and J continued to be used for a LONG time on the White Album, regardless of banding, but it probably WAS the
case that the change to H/J came at the same time the decision was made to not band some of them...probably just denoting that
they were doing something different. They did not change back when they started banding again.
If I remember Bruce's discovery correctly, "P" and "T" in this position indicate that the metal parts were made in New York.
"W" and "X" indicated a new machine, as did "Z" -- all of which started late.

Bruce and I had quite a few conversations about this back when he was writing his Capitol books.
Excellent volumes. They have all of the information correct in them, too, since Bruce wanted to make sure to get everything right.

Frank

Jump to: