The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
oldbillclarkeOffline
Post subject: Sleigh Ride  PostPosted: Dec 02, 2011 - 04:27 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

"Sleigh Ride" has been a Christmas favorite since around the time I was born. It was written by Leroy Anderson in 1948 and lyrics were added by Mitchell Parish in 1950. The best known version of this tune is by the Boston Pops Orchestra conducted by the eminent Arthur Fiedler recorded in 1949 and issued on RCA Victor. Composer Leroy Anderson and His Orchestra also recorded the tune in 1950 for Decca Records in a version almost identical to Fiedlerís. The first vocal version was by The Andrews Sisters, also in 1950. When I was a child I never knew the title of this piece but it always sounded like a heartfelt welcome to the Christmas season. I can remember hearing it, for what seemed like several years, on a kidsí Christmas TV program on Buffalo's channel four (WBEN) each afternoon right after school leading up to the big day. They used the Boston Pops version of "Sleigh Ride" as an introduction and possibly a closing theme. The show featured Santa Claus and an elf called "Forgetful" and their sponsor was Hengerer's, a large Buffalo department store at that time. Today, the best known version of "Sleigh Ride" might be the Ronettes vocal recording from 1963 but I still prefer the Boston Pops rendition. Like several "Christmas" songs including "Jingle Bells", "Walking In The Winter Wonderland" and "Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow", there is no specific mention of Christmas in the original lyrics other than mentioning pumpkin pie. Heck, that might also mean Thanksgiving. I don't know about you, but I get awfully tired of hearing some Christmas music. Unlike many, I feel we just get too much of it rammed in our ears wherever we go. However, I never feel that way about "Sleigh Ride". It's such a happy little song!

Reply with quote Back to top
annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: Sleigh Ride  PostPosted: Dec 03, 2011 - 12:07 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

oldbillclarke wrote:
... Composer Leroy Anderson and His Orchestra also recorded the tune in 1950 for Decca Records in a version almost identical to Fiedlerís....
Not surprising, considering Leroy Anderson also wrote arrangements (charts) for the Boston Symphony and Pops Orchestras. Anderson's "miniature" works are worth investigating on their own.

RidinTheWind
Post subject: RE: Re: Sleigh Ride  PostPosted: Dec 06, 2011 - 11:44 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Fiedler or Anderson, both great tunes, and don't forget the Ventures great version.

Jump to: