The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
tcollins297Offline
Post subject: Pink Floyd- The Man and the Journey... and other matrix #s  PostPosted: Dec 18, 2011 - 08:24 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Hello... I'm collecting a bunch of Pink Floyd and I'm trying to make a list of some of the vinyl I need to get. I'm looking for the matrix numbers on a bootleg called the Man and the Journey. I'm also looking for the matrix number on WYWH with the original cover. Thanks.

Reply with quote Back to top
weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject: RE: Pink Floyd- The Man and the Journey... and other matrix  PostPosted: Dec 19, 2011 - 12:18 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Welcome to RCG, tcollins.

Fortunately there's a website called Pink Floyd Archives dot com that has their discography documented with extensive entries featuring matrix numbers for nearly every release in every country of issue. Check it out HERE. It's an amazing website. Once you get there scroll down to the bottom and select PINK FLOYD DISCOGRAPHIES PAGE. You'll be redirected, so get ready to brush up on your world flags identification knowledge!

By the way, my favourite pressing of WYWH is Columbia Records Master Sound Half-Speed Master - 2nd issue, HC 43453. The first issue suffers from the following:

Pressing Information: The original pressings (33453-2) of the Half-Speed Master have incorrect EQ, noticeable particularily in the high frequencies. It is believed that the reason for this is that, when the lacquer was cut at half speed, the standard RIAA equalization curve (normally used for full speed cutting) was used. This resulted in the EQ being applied to frequencies well below what they were intended for (cutting at half speed results in the sound of the music during the cutting process being considerably lower). This problem was corrected, and a second issue of the Half Speed Master was made (HC 43453), with correct EQ.

I also have the first issue of the Master Sound, and it sounds better than a first regular issue despite the incorrect EQ. The vinyl is just supreme!

But if you get a true first regular issue, don't forget the dark blue shrink!

JGH1Offline
Post subject: RE: Pink Floyd- The Man and the Journey... and other matrix  PostPosted: Dec 19, 2011 - 12:34 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Barrie, I never heard that info about the Mastersound pressing of WYWH. Now, I'll have to pull it and check the numbers. Thanks for the tip.

tcollins, welcome to RCG. I don't have an lp pressing of The Man And The Journey, sorry. However I am familiar with the piece. The recording I have is complete and uncut, dated 9/17/69, recorded in Amsterdam, and is a transfer of the pre-FM tape.

tcollins297Offline
Post subject: RE: Pink Floyd- The Man and the Journey... and other matrix  PostPosted: Dec 19, 2011 - 09:21 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the info! That site really helped, glad I know about the WYHY Mastersound pressing. Thanks again!

DollarsternoOffline
Post subject: RE: Pink Floyd- The Man and the Journey... and other matrix  PostPosted: Dec 19, 2011 - 11:00 PM
Level 5
Level 5

"But if you get a true first regular issue, don't forget the dark blue shrink!"

http://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-Wish-You-Were-Here/release/2943204

My Discogs listing and sealed copy photo..yea me! LOL

Sterno

fromphilly1247Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Pink Floyd- The Man and the Journey... and other mat  PostPosted: Dec 20, 2011 - 06:09 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

JGH1 wrote:
I don't have an lp pressing of The Man And The Journey, sorry. However I am familiar with the piece. The recording I have is complete and uncut, dated 9/17/69, recorded in Amsterdam, and is a transfer of the pre-FM tape.

I have this as well. What an amazing show!

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/markoneill1968

Jump to: