The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
oldbillclarkeOffline
Post subject: RE: Elvis Pictures Canada LPM 1254  PostPosted: Jun 04, 2007 - 07:00 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I'm not an expert on RCA LP labels but what I can tell you is that all RCA Victor 45's were blue in Canada from roughly 1950 until autumn 1956. An original pressing of "Don't Be Cruel/Hound Dog" (RCA Victor 47-6604) is blue but before it was even off the charts, second pressings were the charcoal black. Today blue ones are at a premium because they are pretty tough to get in good condition. "Love Me Tender/Anyway You Want Me" (RCA Victor 47-6643), his next 45, was not issued in blue but only black. The black label lasted until circa February 1959 when Canada finally introduced the black label with the colored dog at the top, a label you had in the U.S. since around 1954. Also just to clarify, all the blue labels and the charcoal labels had double horizontal lines. The colored dog label had no such lines at all. Keep in mind this is all to do with 45 labels, but I'm pretty sure LP labels followed suit. So, simply put, those blue labels pre-date the black ones. Seems to me the LPM 1254 LP can't be THAT rare. It broke into the best seller charts in March 1956 and must have sold oodles and oodles before October. However it is still a first pressing of a record that had many many reissues.

Reply with quote Back to top
berryOffline
Post subject: ELVIS Blue Label  PostPosted: Jul 20, 2008 - 12:09 PM
Level 4
Level 4

For sure LPM-1254 Blue Label was the first issue.

cheptrumOffline
Post subject: Elvis Presley LPM-1254 RCA Blue Label Canada  PostPosted: Oct 02, 2010 - 11:47 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Hi, Is there anyone out there who may have more information about this?

This album is interesting. I just came across one of these, RCA BLUE Label versions which shows the, song number 6. JUST BECAUSE with the (P.D.) credit This is not the case with the Blue Label pressings that is shown in these pictures!

I know that either version must be very rare but my thinking is: in this case the P.D. credit version is the more common version verses the ones shown, as RCA quickly changed over to the Black Label and very likely, the corrected version without the P.D. credits had a much shorter run.

berryOffline
Post subject: Re: Elvis Presley LPM 1254 RCA Blue Label Canadian Issue  PostPosted: Oct 04, 2010 - 11:23 PM
Level 4
Level 4

oldbillclarkeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 05, 2010 - 03:54 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

In regard to jackcapture's post, I think he's referring to U.S. issues so it really doesn't apply. With a nod to the fact I know nothing about a P.D. credit for "Just Because", the blue and black labels are very plentiful in Canada and if you have the money they can be had easily.

berryOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 05, 2010 - 05:48 PM
Level 4
Level 4

The first issue LPM-1254 --Blue Label---Just Because is PD
Elvis Blue Label 45's --Extended Plays are very hard to find, and if you do find them in NM or VG --they are pricey

cheptrumOffline
25 Post subject: Canada LPM - 1254  PostPosted: Jan 10, 2012 - 11:30 PM
Level 2
Level 2

This would be the only Canadian Elvis LP, released on this label. It is known to exist with Side 1, Track 6, Just Because as erroneously credited as P.D. and correctly credited as Bob Shelton, Joe Shelton, Sid Robin.

Jump to: