The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: low volume !  PostPosted: Jan 24, 2012 - 12:45 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

From what you wrote, the connections are correct (but it was a good question to ask, it's easy to overlook something basic when you work with this stuff all the time).
Quote:

the sound of vinyl i get after transfer is 25% to 40% lower of the standard sound i hear all the time ...

More to the point, what level is showing in the software display?

Reply with quote Back to top
hany
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: low volume !  PostPosted: Jan 24, 2012 - 03:57 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Graeme wrote:
From what you wrote, the connections are correct (but it was a good question to ask, it's easy to overlook something basic when you work with this stuff all the time).
Quote:

the sound of vinyl i get after transfer is 25% to 40% lower of the standard sound i hear all the time ...

More to the point, what level is showing in the software display?

i am not certain what u mean what level shoing in the software display ..
is it while recording or the sound file wave after the recirding finished ?

Rick-TV!Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: low volume !  PostPosted: Jan 24, 2012 - 04:34 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

While you're recording. Those green VU meters you use to set levels before you record should be marked on the sides with numbers.

hany
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: low volume !  PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 - 04:57 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Rick-TV! wrote:
While you're recording. Those green VU meters you use to set levels before you record should be marked on the sides with numbers.

yes , i set them in half and not high or two too high to avoid distortion or faulty sound..

GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: low volu  PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 - 12:16 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Quote:

yes , i set them in half and not high or two too high to avoid distortion or faulty sound..

There's your problem. Assuming 24 bit recording, you should set your recording level to peak at no more than -12 dB - that will accomodate any unexpected peaks. After processing for noise reduction, etc., you should then normalise the file for maximum volume.

hany
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: low  PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 - 06:41 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Graeme wrote:
Quote:

There's your problem. Assuming 24 bit recording, you should set your recording level to peak at no more than -12 dB - that will accomodate any unexpected peaks. After processing for noise reduction, etc., you should then normalise the file for maximum volume.

i thought i was doing the right thing to avoid faulty voice ,
i will try what u said[hopefully make it right] then i will see what comes out of it...
thank you

B_big.Offline
23 Post subject: Coping with low volume of vinyl recorded to PC  PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 - 03:11 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

hany wrote:

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool
    Hi Hany, I like to sneak in, right here. My question, what kind of cartridge do you use on your turntable? I use this and receive the same peak level results while recording vinyl to my PC as you do. I guess the reason for this low level is the power output of the cartridge.
    I use Audacity as well, as the wave editor form Ahead's Nero Suite to increase the levels. I haven't experienced any alienation of the sound by doing this. If you pay attention to Greame's suggestion, not to lift up the power level to more than - 20 to - 15 dB, there is no negative affect to your audio signal.

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

hany
Post subject: Re: Coping with low volume of vinyl recorded to PC  PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 - 05:19 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

B_big. wrote:
hany wrote:

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool
    Hi Hany, I like to sneak in, right here. My question, what kind of cartridge do you use on your turntable? I use this and receive the same peak level results while recording vinyl to my PC as you do. I guess the reason for this low level is the power output of the cartridge.
    I use Audacity as well, as the wave editor form Ahead's Nero Suite to increase the levels. I haven't experienced any alienation of the sound by doing this. If you pay attention to Greame's suggestion, not to lift up the power level to more than - 20 to - 15 dB, there is no negative affect to your audio signal.

thank u for ur kind comment B_big.
i use sony cartridge with a new stylus i bought recently ...
my turntable and cartridge won't come near ur wonderful turntable system..
i use to record on audacity a long time ago but delete it , now for editing i use adobe audition and i believe it's the best on the scene by far...
i am with little knowledge with with recording and editing technics but i will try to follow what greame said..
yesterday i had great rips of cassette to cd recorder , sadly it was much better results than what i had with vinyl..

Jump to: