The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
j_loopOffline
Post subject: 78s On RCA  PostPosted: Oct 10, 2011 - 07:27 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

So I just stumbled into a couple of these and it got me thinking and since I don't have a 78 guide I thought I'd ask some questions:

1: How late and how extensively were these made? ie What's the earliest and latest Elvis release on 78? Was every song on his first 2 albums also released on 78? etc...

2: Were the mixes/mastering different between 78 and lp/single? I think I read that the Sun releases are different than RCA, but are there differences within RCA releases?

3: Were they released individually or in bunches or what was the method to the releasing madness?

4: Are there label differences within the same release to take note of? Remember I don't have a 78 guide to refer to.

Thanks for any information.

Reply with quote Back to top
mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: 78s On RCA  PostPosted: Oct 10, 2011 - 08:15 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I recall reading that the last Elvis 78 in the states was "I Got Stung." It's apparently pretty hard to find. Thus, I would assume every single released before that is on 45 and 78s.

I see the 45s quite a bit. Can't remember the last time I stumbled across a 78 of his, if ever. I hope to do so someday, cuz I'm betting they sound good 'n loud.

namralosOffline
Post subject: RE: 78s On RCA  PostPosted: Oct 11, 2011 - 09:21 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Every single from "I Forgot to Remember to Forget" to "I Got Stung" exists on 78.
From my own cataloging of the 78's, I know of nearly all of them with three or more
label variations. Usually, these are associated with: Indianapolis factory; Rockaway (NJ) factory;
Hollywood factory. Sometimes, one factory has more than one label style.

According to the matrix numbers, the 78's come from the same mix as the 45's. The lacquer masters
were separate, of course. Typically, they were released at the same time as the 45, although this
may not have been the case near the end.

j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: 78s On RCA  PostPosted: Oct 11, 2011 - 12:26 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thanks for the info! Interesting, I always wondered if a song needed to be mixed differently depending on whether it was to be pressed on vinyl or shellac. I guess not. So anyone who prefers the 78s likes them because of the medium, not that the music itself is altered in any way...intriguing!

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: 78s On RCA  PostPosted: Oct 11, 2011 - 01:28 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

j_loop wrote:
Thanks for the info! Interesting, I always wondered if a song needed to be mixed differently depending on whether it was to be pressed on vinyl or shellac. I guess not. So anyone who prefers the 78s likes them because of the medium, not that the music itself is altered in any way...intriguing!

Yeah, that's probably true. However, the few rock and R&B 78s I've heard do sound a lot louder compared to the 45s. I'll bet the mix is the same, but the sound is much punchier to me on 78.

I've never had the pleasure of hearing a Little Richard 78. The 45s I've heard sound good and loud, but I'm betting the 78s will really blow you across the room. I'd love to have more of that stuff on 78, but from what I've seen, they are pricey.

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 15, 2011 - 06:38 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

J LOOP

Your questions in normal print; my answers in bold caps:

1: How late and how extensively were these made? IN 1954-55, THE SUN 78s MAY HAVE OUTNUMBERED THE 45s AT THE TIME. IN 1957, THE 45s OUTNUMBERED THE 78s. IN 1958, THE 78s WERE RATHER RARE EVEN UPON RELEASE.

What's the earliest and latest Elvis release on 78? ALREADY ANSWERED.

Was every song on his first 2 albums also released on 78? EVERY SONG ON LPM-1254 WAS ISSUED ON 45 AND 78 IN THE LAST WEEKS OF AUGUST 1956; MANY ARE MUCH HARDER TO FIND THAN PRICE GUIDES SUGGEST. NONE OF THE TRACKS ON LPM-1382 WERE ISSUED ON 78 IN THE U.S.

2: Were the mixes/mastering different between 78 and lp/single? I think I read that the Sun releases are different than RCA, but are there differences within RCA releases? FOR THE LATER RCA LP RELEASES OF THE SUN SIDES, RCA REMASTERED THE RECORDINGS, ADDING "DEPTH" VIA REVERB AND OTHER TECHNOLOGICAL INNOVATIONS THAT TENDED TO ADD NOT ONLY ERSATZ DEPTH BUT ADDED YEARS TO THE SOUND OF HIS VOICE.

3: Were they released individually or in bunches or what was the method to the releasing madness? THE FIVE SUN SINGLES WERE REISSUED IN THE LAST FEW WEEKS OF 1955; THE TWELVE TRACLS FROM lpm-1254 WERE ISSUED IN BULK ACCOMPANIED BY "SHAKE RATTLE AND ROLL" / "LAWDY MISS CLAWDY" AND "LOVE ME TENDER" / "ANYWAY YOU WANT ME" WITHIN WEEKS OF EACH OTHER IN AUGUST 1956. OTHERWISE, THE 78S WERE ISSUED MORE OR LESS SIMULTANEOUSLY WITH THE 45s.

4: Are there label differences within the same release to take note of? Remember I don't have a 78 guide to refer to. THERE ARE MINOR LABEL VARIATIONS ON ALL OF ELVIS' RECORDS. THERE ARE MAJOR LABEL VARIATIONS (SUCH AS THE FAMOUS 'NIPPER-LESS OR DOG-LESS' LABELS OF SEVERAL 1956 RELEASES.

Hope this helps,

NEAL

j_loopOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 15, 2011 - 07:13 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thanks Neal, that helps a lot! As I've looked more at listings of these for sale and what has sold, I've noticed nobody lists the matrix numbers (ie: 1s, 2s etc..) like they do with many RCA classical releases. Do Elvis collectors not pay as close attention to what stampers were used or is this not an issue with 78s the way it is with lps?

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 17, 2011 - 05:55 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

J LOOP

Regarding stamper numbers: while the "1S" etcetra numbering system is an accurate reflection of the stampers pulled from a given mother and lacquer for classical LPs, which sold in relatively minute quantities and were therefore subject to the almost complete control of the those involved in their manufacture, such was not the case for Elvis.

The demand for Presley product was so overwhelming that RCA was leasing other pressing plants and otherwise farming out the manufacturing of Elvis 78s, 45s, EPs, and LPs (hence the sundry label variations). While an Elvis record with a "1S" (Rockaway, NJ) on both sides or a "3S" (Hollywood, CA) on both sides or a "5S" (Indianapolis, IN) on both sides should indicate a first pressing from the three primary Victor plants, it is not the only indication of a first.

The "should" in this sentence should be considered qualified, as no one knows what stampers were sent to which plant/whose plant when in 1956 and '57. . .

Hope this helps,

NEAL

KentTOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 08, 2012 - 09:09 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

General information on pressing desirability. "I" means Indianapolis, Indiana, "H" means Hollywood, CA, and "R" means Rockaway, NJ. "I" or "H" usually are the best pressings. Rockaway, NJ is less hi-fi sounding. The last few Elvis 78 singles were mostly pressed for 78 RPM jukebox use, so are out there in fewer numbers. And the hardest to find in nice condition. In Canada, Mexico, and much of Europe, there were a few more 78 singles on Elvis available. India, and the Phillipines had 78 singles available well into the 1960's.

oldbillclarkeOffline
Post subject: Elvis 78's  PostPosted: Feb 09, 2012 - 03:31 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

In Canada both "A Fool Such As I/I Need Your Love Tonight" and "Big Hunk O' Love/My Wish Came True" were issued on 78 RPM. These two are the only ones issued in Canada with the "colored dog" and apparently they are in very high demand simply because they weren't issued in the U.S.

Jump to: