The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jukeboxjiveOffline
Post subject: Elvis Presley  PostPosted: Feb 11, 2012 - 04:06 AM
Level 5
Level 5

I have been offered an Elvis Presley 45 Sun record 209 "That's All Right" with on the left of the record is Wabash Music Co. BMI and to the right Vocal U-124 with his Autogragh on the label.Does this make it more valuable and how can I be sure it is his signature.What is a fair offer for this record?
'

Reply with quote Back to top
Heidler
Post subject: Elvis Presley  PostPosted: Feb 11, 2012 - 06:30 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hello jukeboxjive

I see you're located in the U.K. so I'll add my 2p's worth.

On my last trip to England ( 2010 ) I went to several Record Fairs ( London, Cambridge, and Norfolk ) usually run by the " V.I.P. " outfit ( but not all always )

During my visits to these venues, I OFTEN saw " Elvis Presly Autographed " Sun singles
Only ONE ( in London ) was the genuine article ( and didn't have his " autograph " though I suppose it might by now )

No doubt, before the 'ol Col. Parker started controlling his life, Elvis when he was with Sun, did autograph his records quite freely, though not en masse.

While I'm not generally a " Doubting Thomas " and I'm certainly not trying to shoot-you-down, it seems a bit odd to me that all these copies showed up in England, and so it seems, in the last three years or so.

You're in the right place, there have been some Sun Records inputs, and no-doubt somebody will fill you in much better than I ( with the " three-indentations " thing about Plastic Products in Memphis and Coldwater, Mississippi )

Just wonder about the ones that were pressed out here in California, some 1,000 were

Good luck to you and I really hope it is the genuine article, and you are able to add it to your collection.
Please let the Guild know how it turns out..

Thanks

H

LoneStarStompOffline
Post subject: RE: Elvis Presley  PostPosted: Feb 11, 2012 - 08:22 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

An interesting collection surfaced here recently with at least half a dozen Elvi (plural?) autographs found on promo pics and jamboree programs and one Sun 45. One program autograph page even featured scribbles Scotty, Elvis, Bill, and Jimmy Day who played steel guitar on that particular tour.

Elvis did sign his 45s, though examples are rare... I've seen 2 dozen or so Sun 45s and 78s from this area in the past 14 years and only two had his autograph. People just bought the 45 after the show- likely from Scotty most of the time-and never thought twice to get Elvis sign it. Autograph seekers were more likely to purchase one of the hep promo headshots he was sporting at the time and then wait in the crowd hoping for a signature.

LoneStarStompOffline
Post subject: RE: Elvis Presley  PostPosted: Feb 11, 2012 - 08:30 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I would like to add that I have no idea about value... it's going to depend on record condition and autograph placement, if it is real. Provenance is everything with this type of record.

jukeboxjiveOffline
Post subject: Elvis Presley  PostPosted: Feb 11, 2012 - 10:30 AM
Level 5
Level 5

Thanks to all you guys for your input.Apparently/alledigedly he claims to have bought this record at a store in USA way back in the 60's!

Heidler
Post subject: Elvis Presley  PostPosted: Feb 11, 2012 - 12:47 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

jukeboxjive

If this is so, there's a good chance this item might be the real mccoy!

Many years ago ( I would think about 1963 or 1964 ) a dealer in Hollywood had ALL 5 Elvis Sun's ( in a long frame ) on " display " in his store ( one of them was autographed )

A few weeks later, I went back to the shop and the " display " was gone.
I went to the owner and asked what happened to his treasure ( even back then, it seemed it was hard to get all five, especially in one whack )
He said: " I sold them last week for $600 "
How he arrived at that figure back then has always puzzled me, but that was a lot of money during tiose years.

After 50 years in Hollywood ( two locations ) this great record store closed.
The owner sold of his remaing stock which included several Elvis Sun 78s, and two Beatles " Butcher Cover " Lps ( one also framed )**

**He also had an ORIGINAL copy of " Barbie " b/w " What Is A Young Girl Made Of " as by Kenny & The Cadets on Randy Records ( 422 )
This recording was done by some members of the later Beach Boys.
The label was a one-shot owned by producer Hite Morgan who asked some of the boys, including Brian Wilson ( and his mom Audree ) to sing over an already recorded instrumental track.
There are tons of boot-legs of this record around here.

Again, good luck, and try to uses sources to find an Elvis autograph so to roughly compare the example you want to by.

Hope it's all well.

H

Jump to: