The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
vinylundergroundOffline
19 Post subject: If you are finding a 406 error, then read this!  PostPosted: Jan 04, 2008 - 01:44 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Hi all,

Recently, members have been posting messages only to receive the following sentences.

"This error (http 406 not acceptable) means that this program was able to receive information from the website you visited, but the information was not in a format that it can display"

Or

"This program cannot read this website format (http 406)"

If you are receiving these types of messages, then observe the following information.

Due to the security programs that protect our server, certain coding is rejected because of their connection to "crackers" or "bots" trying to gain access to the server or place certain scripts into the content management system (CMS) or message board programs. These codings are included in the Mod_Security rules and these rules are serious with messages that seem offending in nature.

In order to avoid the dreaded 406 error screen, please refrain from using symbols such as "+" or "/" together. Also "g" and "/" might apply, along with any other symbols that represent the grading of records or the placement of URLs.

There may be other rules that define what is unacceptable to use, although I cannot list them all here.

If you experience a 406 error, simply try to either re-write your message in a different manner or try to exclude anything that you have seen trigger a 406.

In an effort to collect more symbols and phrases that may trigger an unfavorable response, I encourage members to reply to this post with words or symbols that they have been rejected with.

Remember....remember.....remember, if you received a 406 error message by posting in a certain manner, DO NOT include the symbols in the same order that you wrote in the rejected message. Try to separate or enclose said symbols with quotation marks as I have done above.

In any event, these are steps that must be taken in order to post a message without receiving a 046 error page.

I will try to remove as many of the symbols and words we use and that are listed in the Mod_Security rules. Although, server security and the presence of the Record Collectors Guild is paramount.

Regards,
Jeff

Reply with quote Back to top
Pgh GuyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 04, 2008 - 02:47 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hey Jeff,

I did what you said in the above post about the "+" and "/" and the record forum accepted my post for Capitol 10" records for sell....Please let everyone know if other symbols or letters will be effecting more posts.....Thanks for the heads-up on the symbols NOT to use.....Does this apply to all forums within the newsgroup or ONLY the records forum.?.?.?

Pgh Guy
John G Cool

B_big.Offline
1 Post subject: Rejected Postings  PostPosted: Jan 05, 2008 - 09:52 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool

I've received similar error messages while mentioning gradings like "EX++" or "NM-" and "VG++"

Cool Evil or Very Mad Shocked

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

NorthwindsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 21, 2012 - 08:21 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

You can get around this error by doing a spreadsheet and then saving as a .txt

When you copy and paste the list to your post, the error does not come up Cool

Jump to: