The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
TheMastermindOffline
Post subject: Clash Dance Tracks  PostPosted: Jun 03, 2012 - 07:13 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

The Clash were pretty visionary with their thumping dance twelve-inches like 'Radio Clash' and 'Magnificent Seven' making them sort of god-fathers of the indie baggy dance scene of the next decade. Hell, Strummer wasn't above rapping and pulled it off better than Debbie Harry.

Do the punk fans around here chase that stuff or do you turn your nose up at it as the impure product of sad sell-outs in decline?

Me, I f***ing love it.

Reply with quote Back to top
DaveyTheWaxManOffline
Post subject: RE: Clash Dance Tracks  PostPosted: Jun 03, 2012 - 08:36 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Man, I had a 12" ---- what was it now?? I think it was "Radio CLash," or "Capitol Radio"....put it in a bulk lot trade to a Guilder years ago--don't know if she really liked it--wish I had it to throw to you!

chickenlipsOffline
Post subject: RE: Clash Dance Tracks  PostPosted: Jun 03, 2012 - 09:33 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Love it also, back in the day, everything was pretty narrow minded - you were a punk, a rocker, disco-kid, etc.. the Clash were one of the bands that opened up my eyes (and ears), listening to them doing stuff like 'police & thieves' got me buying the original and getting into some reggae stuff, likewise with dance/rap 'Radio Clash' & 'Magnificent Seven', hell, i would say they even dabbled in pop with tracks like 'Lost in the Supermarket'

One of the main bands that changed my life & views - music that brought people together no matter race, colour or creed - Rock Against Racism Smile

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: Re: Clash Dance Tracks  PostPosted: Jun 03, 2012 - 10:14 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

TheMastermind wrote:
The Clash were pretty visionary with their thumping dance twelve-inches like 'Radio Clash' and 'Magnificent Seven' making them sort of god-fathers of the indie baggy dance scene of the next decade. Hell, Strummer wasn't above rapping and pulled it off better than Debbie Harry.

Do the punk fans around here chase that stuff or do you turn your nose up at it as the impure product of sad sell-outs in decline?

Me, I f***ing love it.

I have a decent collection of Clash LPs & singles. I prefer their straight ahead Punk. I wouldn't go so far as to label the later stuff the result of "sad sell-outs" but it doesn't excite me as much. If I want to hear Dance/Pop records I'd rather listen to Madonna.

TheMastermindOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Clash Dance Tracks  PostPosted: Jun 04, 2012 - 06:22 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I don't think their dance tracks were attempts at creating the kind of pop dance Madonna later created. I'd say they were more coming from an Afrika Bambaata underground club direction. I gather they were successful with that, as 'Magnificent Seven' made the playlist on black radio stations at the time.

Jump to: