The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
lamasOffline
Post subject: Black Dyke Mills Band - British works brass band  PostPosted: Apr 01, 2009 - 02:13 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Location: Warwick ( 8 miles NE of Stratford Upon Avon ) England
I was in a charity shop last week-end and purchased an EP by the above band

It was issued on H is M aster's V oice

One of the 4 tracks on it was called THE LAZY TRUMPETER

This is a particular favourite of mine and the only other copy of the track I have seen is mine and I wanted a better copy

So 50p bought it

Playing it is very nostalgic - it reminds me of the days when this country ( the UK ) used to actually MAKE things -

Employees of many Northern England firms played in BRASS BANDS as part of their recreation and they were supported by those firms who then used the prowess of the band to help promote the firm . The bands would then enter competions against rivals to prove which was the best band.

The Black Dyke Mills Band members were supported by John Foster and Son Limited
and the back of the EP has the following notes

" John Foster and Son Limited was founded in 1819 at Qeensbury in the West Riding of Yorkshire, and is well known throughout the markets of the world for the high quality of its Tops, Yarn and Cloth. In particular it has a world-wide reputationfor its Mohair products, Tops, Yarns, Pile Fabrics and Tropical and Lightweight Suitings.

Among its subsidiary companies are John Foster and Son ( Australia ) Pty. Limited, Melbourne, and in the United Kigdom B.S.T. Silks Limited, Godfrey Sykes and Sons Limited, John Halliday and Sons Limited, and Wallace and Company ( Textiles ) Limited. In Australia thecompany is also associated with The Queensland Woollen Manufacturing Company Limited, Ipswich, Queensland.

The company formed the Black Dyke Mills Band in the 1850's and the Band met with instant success as it won the first major event ever held for Brass Bands, namely, at the Crystal Palace in 1860. Since 1946 the Band has been the champion of Great Britain no less than six times "

The recording was first published in 1963

References to 1850's and 1860 are NOT errors - it was THAT long ago!!

I write this as the G 20 meet in London........................

LAMAS

Reply with quote Back to top
MacJazzOffline
Post subject: RE: Black Dyke Mills Band - British works brass band  PostPosted: Apr 01, 2009 - 03:47 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

The brass band tradition lives on to a certain extent. There are rather good brass bands in Midwestern part of the states, playing in the brass band tradition. Columbus, Ohio has an excellent one (stemming from the Ohio State University Marching band, which is all brass). There is another in the Cincinnati, Ohio area and one in Zanesville, Kentucky. Zanesville sponsors a bass band festival in the early summer and it has drawn as many as fifteen bands.

Jim Curnow, an American school band music composer of some repute does brass arrangements. He did a lot of stuff with the Salvation Army brass in Australia early on and has continued to publish in that genre. The schools in many areas also support brass groups in what is called “Solo and ensemble” programs. The ensembles range from duets up through brass choirs. I emphasized this type of performance heavily when I was in the schools and had very good results.

You Brits have Philip Jones (whom I assume is still active) and it doesn’t get much better than that.

All of this is completely separate from the Drum and Bugle Corps program here which involves very large numbers of young people (up to age 25, I believe). Drum Corps International (DCI) has groups that travel all summer giving (and developing) shows and competing or just presenting them Festival style. This all comes together in an unbelievable competition in the late summer. I’ve attended the DCI finals a number of times and they are just plain unreal in what they do. Take a look at http://www.dci.org/ and you’ll see what I mean.

BgasOffline
Post subject: Re: Black Dyke Mills Band - British works brass band  PostPosted: Apr 01, 2009 - 06:24 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

lamas wrote:

Playing it is very nostalgic - it reminds me of the days when this country ( the UK ) used to actually MAKE things -

Employees of many Northern England firms played in BRASS BANDS as part of their recreation and they were supported by those firms who then used the prowess of the band to help promote the firm . The bands would then enter competions against rivals to prove which was the best band.

The Black Dyke Mills Band members were supported by John Foster and Son Limited
and the back of the EP has the following notes

" John Foster and Son Limited was founded in 1819 at Qeensbury in the West Riding of Yorkshire, and is well known throughout the markets of the world for the high quality of its Tops, Yarn and Cloth. In particular it has a world-wide reputationfor its Mohair products, Tops, Yarns, Pile Fabrics and Tropical and Lightweight Suitings.

Among its subsidiary companies are John Foster and Son ( Australia ) Pty. Limited, Melbourne, and in the United Kigdom B.S.T. Silks Limited, Godfrey Sykes and Sons Limited, John Halliday and Sons Limited, and Wallace and Company ( Textiles ) Limited. In Australia thecompany is also associated with The Queensland Woollen Manufacturing Company Limited, Ipswich, Queensland.

The company formed the Black Dyke Mills Band in the 1850's and the Band met with instant success as it won the first major event ever held for Brass Bands, namely, at the Crystal Palace in 1860. Since 1946 the Band has been the champion of Great Britain no less than six times "

The recording was first published in 1963

References to 1850's and 1860 are NOT errors - it was THAT long ago!!

I write this as the G 20 meet in London........................

LAMAS

Interesting!
I have a hard cardboard poster( which I bought as part of a package) that pictures six of these bands.
At the centertop, it says: " The best play BESSON"; Then there are photos of the bands: The Fairey Band, B.M.C. Band, G.U.S.( Footwear) Band, Black Dyke Mills Band, C.W.S. ( Manchester) Band, Fodens Motor Works Band.
If I knew how to get a picture on here, I'd post it. I figure the photos are from the 40's or 50's. ( maybe earlier. Can't say for certain) I presume that Besson was a horn manufacturer.
It's actually a rather cool poster, tho not my favorite sort of music

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: Black Dyke Mills Band  PostPosted: Apr 01, 2009 - 11:08 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

lamas wrote:
... The Black Dyke Mills Band members were supported by John Foster and Son Limited
and ....
I'd think that the most sought after Black Dyke Mills Band record is the 7-inch single, "Thingumybob"/"Yellow Submarine" (US Apple 1800/UK Apple APPLE 4).

627822.jpg
 Description:
US Apple 1800 (1968)
Thingumybob // Yellow Submarine
John Foster & Sons Ltd. Black Dyke Mills Band
 Filesize:  17.19 KB
 Viewed:  836 Time(s)

627822.jpg

lamasOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Black Dyke Mills Band  PostPosted: Apr 02, 2009 - 03:46 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Location: Warwick ( 8 miles NE of Stratford Upon Avon ) England
Quote:

Then there are photos of the bands: The Fairey Band, B.M.C. Band, G.U.S.( Footwear) Band, Black Dyke Mills Band, C.W.S. ( Manchester) Band, Fodens Motor Works Band.
If I knew how to get a picture on here, I'd post it. I figure the photos are from the 40's or 50's.

Thanks to all the above for posting their replies

The FAIREY Band Ibelive related to FAIREY AVIATION based in MANCHESTER ( my mother worked for them in Mancheter during WWII )

BMC stands for British Motor Corporation ( a merger of Austin and Morris which took place circa 1952 they made cars - including MG's ) G.U.S stood for Great Universal Stores which were best know as a catalogue company ( Kays of Worcester being the best known catalogue ) I believe that GUS would have had substantial interests in what is now called the GREATER MANCHESTER area CWS stands for CO-OPERATIVE WHOLESALE SOCIETY and would also I believe have been MANCHESTER based

The Co-operative movement was a very large and i important movement in those days ( even more so than today ) - it did then and still does cover GROCERY SHOPS UNDERTAKERS BANKING and INSURANCE - and our largest Building Society known as the Nationwide was originally the Co-operative Building Society

The idea was that you became a member and were thus an owner and would receive a " divi " ( dividend ) pro rata to your purchases - although quite how that worked with the UNDERTAKERS I am not sure ( pause grim laughter )

FODENS made lorries in SANBACH Cheshire - which is the next County down from.............................MANCHESTER

They had a rival Lorry manufacturer in the same town called ERF ( ( which stood for E. R, Foden ) The original Fodens made STEAM POWERED wagons and I believe that there was a family DISPUTE over whether they should change to these new fang led DEISEL engines

Your photo posting ability is shared by my good self AND I believe quite a few other members from what I can gather - Are there any suggestions out there as to where we can all go for help ?

Sounds like the 50;s anyway

LAMAS

BgasOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Black Dyke Mills Band  PostPosted: Apr 05, 2009 - 06:10 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I can take a photo and get it posted here. But it will be a large photo, and not inside the boxes like all the others I see posted.
I'm not sure how that is done, and whether you have to be able to edit your pics to make that( the boxes) happen.
One person told me they use Photoshop to get their pictures; I have no clue how to do that!

KentTOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Black Dyke Mills Band  PostPosted: Jun 16, 2012 - 08:15 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Lamas.

Your works brass bands made several LP discs together for English Decca. I have one of the two volumes on early SXL Decca Stereo. Nice record.

Jump to: