The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
swampcatOffline
Post subject: Don cole on RPM records  PostPosted: Nov 18, 2007 - 10:00 AM
Level 4
Level 4

Today i arrange originals and repros and found this beauty.My brother has the same so i ask him to compare.We bought these records from the same dealer for the same price 3$ in the late seventies.
We made a sound check and the original copy blows the door. By good fortune i grab the first press...

reissue.jpg
 Description:
reissue
 Filesize:  34.75 KB
 Viewed:  1299 Time(s)

reissue.jpg

original.jpg
 Description:
original
 Filesize:  38.1 KB
 Viewed:  1299 Time(s)

original.jpg

Reply with quote Back to top
dylan777Offline
Post subject: RE: Don cole on RPM records  PostPosted: Sep 25, 2009 - 09:08 PM
Level 4
Level 4

Wow lots of great info on this thread! Anybody have tips on how spot Rama fakes???

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Pile-of-Vinyl-Records

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: repro 45s  PostPosted: Jan 01, 2010 - 12:50 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

MiamiSteve wrote:
Someone brought up matrix numbers as a way to identify a counterfeit but isn't it possible to replicate the etchings in the dead wax? Can an original record be used to make a new stamper from which counterfeits could be pressed? I have a couple records (LPs actually) that I'm pretty certain are counterfeits but the dead wax matches the originals which I also have. The LPs in question are white label promos: Tom Petty's Official Live 'Leg and Southside Johnny Live at the Bottom Line if anyone has any information specifically about those records.
----------------------------------- somewhere i have a 45 that i bought that was advertised as "from the original stampers" i can't remember the title or i'd put it up here, this record has the original dead wax numbers.

ewingtonOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Don cole on RPM records  PostPosted: Jan 02, 2010 - 06:45 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

dylan777 wrote:
Wow lots of great info on this thread! Anybody have tips on how spot Rama fakes???

The first thing I would look for is the 2 defined lines out from the centre to the edge of the lable.
In effect there should be 4 not 2 lines that are distinct.
When looking at the blue & red labesl some arent that distinct and can be a bit blurry.
I hope that this makes some kind of sense.
Oh, this is an original, maybe somebody has a boot to copare it with.

Jerome, Patti - RAMA Promo - 1a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  54.74 KB
 Viewed:  723 Time(s)

Jerome, Patti - RAMA  Promo - 1a.jpg

recordfan
Post subject: Re: Don cole on RPM records  PostPosted: Jan 02, 2010 - 10:14 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

swampcat wrote:
Today i arrange originals and repros and found this beauty.My brother has the same so i ask him to compare.We bought these records from the same dealer for the same price 3$ in the late seventies.
We made a sound check and the original copy blows the door. By good fortune i grab the first press...

One obvious thing on the Don Cole is that on the original there is no space between Lee Hazlewood and Don Cole. But on the boot there is a fairly obvious space in the same spot. And on the boot there seems to be a bigger space between Don Cole and Al Casey. Mine looks exactly like the second one, marked original.

Another thing that can show obvious boots right off is that the Mariano brothers did a bunch of these and what they did to help the collectors was to put the year that they booted an item, so if your not sure what you have, especially with RAB, look to see if it has something like 1972 in the dead wax. If there is, then it's almost certainly a boot, but this was only with the ones that were done by the Marianos.

bcopelandOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 19, 2010 - 06:35 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for starting this thread LPMAN Very Happy
This information will definitely help me out in my future digs, especially at record shows.

txturntableOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 14, 2012 - 06:42 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Here's an eBay listing i had been following. If you click over to the 2nd set of 45's, the Federal does not have an accent over the second e: http://www.ebay.com/itm/310412748992?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Jump to: