The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
VinylCollectorOffline
Post subject: Detailed Catalog querying at band (LP) or track (CD) level  PostPosted: May 31, 2011 - 12:53 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Does anyone have a queriable relational datbase designed for their collection of LPs, 78s, reel-to-reel, CDs, and DATs?

For those LP record jackets which list a Library of Congress Refference Number, can one find descriptions of the LP on the Library of Congress website (in order to ease the data-entry task)?

William Hall

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
Global_Dog_ProductionsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 31, 2011 - 09:10 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

As I mostly deal with singles I've found a "flat" file just fine. I can look through my old backups I once had a relational database for all my bootleg tapes, mostly Springsteen and Costello. I use Paradox as a database and while Access can read Paradox files I'm not sure if it will make the relational connection.

If you search the threads here there is at least one that talks about a program that only requires the barcode to get the information. Obviously that doesn't help for anything that is pre-barcode.

The reality is that all the web-based programs like Discogs are boilplate databases that can't handle things like combined numbering systems so you can end up with just a lot of jumbled data. For example Festival Records from Australia...

http://www.discogs.com/groups/topic/144407

To give an idea of what these folks are discussing here is just one chunk of Festival which accounts for all the numbers, not just the ones labeled Festival...

http://www.globaldogproductions.info/f/festival-0000-series-oz.html

This isn't an isolated case, for example in the beginning of 1970 CBS US started combining all their LPs into a unified numbering system that Discogs can't handle. Likewise EMI in Europe went even farther in the late 1960s with a unified numbering system the included singles, EPs and LPs. In 1980 CBS US unified their "singles" numbering system that included 45s, cassette "singles", 12" singles, CD singles and eventually even DVDs.

I guess what I'm trying to say if you do find a relational database you will have to live with what the programmers decided. A lot has to do with what you want out of the database. If it is only searching for a song I'd imagine you might Discogs will work for you. Discogs will allow you to "catalog" your collection so it could save you a lot of time with data entry. I don't know if Discogs will allow you do search only your collection for a song, perhaps it does, I don't use it.

DollarsternoOffline
Post subject: Interesting  PostPosted: Aug 02, 2011 - 07:22 AM
Level 5
Level 5

I've spent the last six weeks entering and contributing about a quarter of my collection on Discogs. It is and has been satisfying and difficult at the same time. One I finally get to put into a file system some of what I've collected and see the results. But two the difficulty is in "playing" by the rules of Discogs.

I had not thought about researching a "song" out of the Discog database for "my" collection so I tried it. It pulls out your entrees that contain that reference in "your" collection'. It will not however identify the exact track, timing ect. unless you open that entree that has been identified and search within the reference for details. (If the details are there of course).

Just My Thoughts On The Above

Sterno

bingbingbingOffline
Post subject: RE: Interesting  PostPosted: Jul 18, 2012 - 02:03 AM
Level 1
Level 1

Likewise EMI in Europe went even farther in the late 1960s with a unified numbering system the included singles, EPs and LPs. In 1980 CBS US unified their "singles" numbering system that included 45s, cassette "singles", 12" singles, CD singles and eventually even DVDs.

Post subject: Re: RE: Interesting  PostPosted: Jul 18, 2012 - 10:05 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

bingbingbing wrote:
Likewise EMI in Europe went even farther in the late 1960s with a unified numbering system the included singles, EPs and LPs. In 1980 CBS US unified their "singles" numbering system that included 45s, cassette "singles", 12" singles, CD singles and eventually even DVDs.

As for EMI from an earlier thread I posted...

Quote:
Late in the 60s EMI created what is arguably one of the biggest nightmares when it consolidated all of its labels in Europe for the most part into a single unified numbering system that included singles, EPs and LPs. The numbering on them consisted of a prefix that began with a one or two digit number that indicated the country of origin followed by a "C" and then three more digits to complete the prefix. "006" was used to indicate singles but some singles got different numbers but all singles always had two zeros followed by a single digit. "064" was the most common indicator for a single LP and "164" for double LPs.

Country codes likewise weren't always consistant. 1 was the country code for West Germany but some records issued in Spain began with "1J". "1A" was used by numerous countries. These are the country codes I know of...

1 = West Germany
2 = France
2J = Greece
3 = Italy
4 = Belgium
4E = Sweden
5 = Holland
6 = Denmark
7 = Sweden
8C = Norway
8E = Portugal - I know of one Angolan single using 8E
10 = Spain
14 = Greece
31 = Brazil

Other countries I know were a part of this numbering system but I don't know the numbers for are Israel and Switzerland. I would imagine there were many others.

The actual record number following these prefixes was 5 digits and the following series would probably be the ones folks here would be most interested in.

00000 series - overlaps the 90000/60000 series, includes a group called The Beatles.
90000 series - 1969 - 1977
60000 series - 1977 - ? this is a continuation of the 90000 series after they ran out of numbers.

There isn't a whole lot of consistancy here for example some Pink Floyd issues are in the 00000 series and others are in the 90000 series.

Labels I know of using this series of numbers are A&M, Apple, Ariola, Arista, Asylum, Bell, Blue Thumb, Capitol. Columbia, Crystal, EMI, EMI Pathe, EMI Electrola, EMI Odeon, EMI Pathe, Electrola, Emidisc, Fame, Fantasy, HMV, Harvest, Immediate, Imperial, Italiana, Liberty, Motown, Odeon, Parlophone, Pathe, Pathe Marconi, Probe, Purple, RAK, Rare Earth, Regal Zonophone, Rolling Stones, Sonopresse, Stateside, Tamla Motown, United Artists

In 1970 CBS US unified their LPs see...

http://www.globaldogproductions.info/c/cbs-lps-us.html

In the UK and Europe CBS also unified their numbering system for 45s combining CBS, Epic and others but it is rather messy determining which belong to the previous un-unified system, Scandinavia especially.

Post subject: Re: RE: Interesting  PostPosted: Jul 18, 2012 - 10:10 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

bingbingbing wrote:

I just realized you were quoting me without giving credit, BAD Evil or Very Mad

Jump to: