The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
NorthwindsOffline
Post subject: Oddball Decca label on Stone's 1st lp?  PostPosted: Jul 23, 2012 - 11:03 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I have been slowly buying another guys Stone's collection and it's full of odd ball stuff. I waqs wondering about this label though with the label logos taped over on both sides. The Decca logo on the back cover is also taped as seen in the image. Is this a transitional pressing to the new style ffrr Decca label?

The cover is pretty decent, VG+ but the vinyl is a VG to a weak VG+ with lots of scuffing and some hairlines, plays well though. I had to have it though, only paid $5 for it

Any thoughts or info?

Reply with quote Back to top
NorthwindsOffline
Post subject: Re: Oddball Decca label on Stone's 1st lp?  PostPosted: Jul 23, 2012 - 11:20 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Somehow I double posted this Laughing

NorthwindsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 24, 2012 - 11:13 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I did a little checking, it's a UK export to US pasteover

Decca 2A/2A Confused 2nd press? This does have the "blindman" text backcover

steffiestonesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 24, 2012 - 11:17 AM
Level 4
Level 4

This info comes from Jan's Decca page (www.stonesondecca.com):
...a large quantity of English pressed singles and albums started making their way into the US record stores. But this affected many labels, many Beatles records appeared but the labels were not covered (there was no Parlophone label in the US), but all the Stones records had these colored papers on them.
There is a Decca label in the USA, but it has no connection with the British label. As we all know, the Stones weren't signed to Decca, they were signed to London in US. I guess the importers covered up whatever Logo or copyright they could possibly infringe upon...

NorthwindsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 24, 2012 - 03:07 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thanks Steffie, I see I typo'd the title Laughing this lp is actually No 2. That was the same source I checked out, very informative. There is a lot of label variations Shocked

Jump to: