The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
AudioGasoline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 06, 2012 - 12:41 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

IMO, sellers that don't leave FB at all are not practicing good customer service. Many buyers think that a seller should leave them FB first, but ebay policy says nothing on the subject. Sellers that wait for the buyer to leave FB first are usually doing so to 'protect' themselves from receiving unfair feedback - they don't see the transaction completed until the item is in the buyer's hands, and any possible complaints/refunds/returns would still be considered part of the transaction. Sellers run up against buyers all the time who don't agree with the grading of the item (or whatever), but won't use the return/refund avenues given to them - they'd rather keep the item and ding the seller's performance rating. Some sellers think that delaying FB gives them some insurance against this. I don't practice it, but it's not uncommon on ebay.

Incidentally, to the poster who was told by a seller "I'll leave feedback later", I can think of one legitimate reason for this: ebay has an automatic feedback system in place for sellers, whereby ebay will automatically leave positive feedback for your buyer after they have left feedback for you. Not sure how common it is, but seems to only be used by very large sellers who move dozens (or more) of items a day and have a hard time managing all the feedback. I don't like it because buyers don't understand and think they're getting stiffed on feedback, but it does get used quite a bit.

For me, I can't understand why buyers want feedback so badly - maybe if you're new to ebay and need to build a rep, but after a dozen or so FBs, what benefit does it allow? Seems to be just a tally of transactions more than anything else. Buyers can't get a negative, can't even get a neg comment with a pos FB, so their FB will always be 100% positive. Since many sellers have been trained (by their buyers) to leave FB first, it often doesn't apply to any part of the transaction after the payment, so it tells future sellers nothing about buyer communication, their expectations about delivery speed, understanding of grading criteria, or anything besides how quickly they paid.

Not pointing any fingers at anyone here, but there are a lot of buyers wandering around ebay with an over-inflated sense of entitlement: they want museum-grade pieces at flea market prices, they want it delivered tomorrow, for free, while they ignore industry-wide Goldmine grading standards in lieu of their own. They want to rake a seller over the coals for details that were fully disclosed in the listing & TOS, when they could've read things completely in the first place. There is also a more thieving type that knows how to game the ebay system to receive items for free. Sellers that have been hit hard by this will use any tactics they can find to provide some cushion here, and there are very few available tactics - holding out on giving FB is one of them. (Of course, it's not too effective when the buyer can still leave negs and low DSRs that stick.)

Audio Gasoline: High Performance Turntable Fuel

Reply with quote Back to top
aravelOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 07, 2012 - 10:59 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

::: Audiogas, I relly enjoyed reading your comment. Regards, amigo

gypsyeyes wrote:

Now.......I know that aravel said that is an older photo of himself.
But let me tell ya, to me he looks pretty hot.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
edfred2334Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 08, 2012 - 12:02 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Audio Gasoline-Very well said!

Jump to: