The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PadtrekOffline
Post subject: classical music resources?  PostPosted: Sep 05, 2012 - 01:59 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I'm a longtime reader, but never posted. I have a huge classical collection (probably 20 000 strong).

What are some good resources to help me research classical records. I don"t mind buying a book if that's my best option . I just though with the internet there must be a place somewhere (or places).

Thanks

Reply with quote Back to top
vinyl1Offline
Post subject: RE: classical music resources?  PostPosted: Sep 05, 2012 - 02:30 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

If you are talking values, there is no reliable source in print. The Canfield guide is obsolete, and the prices were just the prices Dave Canfield sold the records for, which in many cases are either too high or too low nowadays.

You could look on popsike or collectors frenzy, or just scan completed items in eBay. Pick records, classical, completed, and sort on price highest first. Ignore unsold records. You will see the same LPs come up over and over again.

If you're not talking values, but would just like more info on labels and such, the pickings are slim. There's Valin's RCA Bible, out of print and very expensive, and the Phil Rees Audiophile Record Collector's Handbook, also out of print.

PadtrekOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 05, 2012 - 04:51 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Not so concerned with value, more so first pressings for various labels.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the book,

But anything else in print or online?

Jump to: