The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bahnghitOffline
22 Post subject: Hot Rocks Question  PostPosted: Aug 05, 2012 - 11:51 AM
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone help me with this?.....I'm having the most difficult time in pin pointing this particular copy of "Hot Rocks"

It's a gate fold double album in supreme condition, plain white inner protection sleeves and has a pamphlet in it called, "211 Reasons Why The Rolling Stones Is The Greatest Rock N Roll Band" it is unlike any i can find, Richards name misspelled(no 's')-does not have "Shelly" etched in..

Picture 003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.68 KB
 Viewed:  565 Time(s)

Picture 003.jpg

Reply with quote Back to top
CaptainVagueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 06, 2012 - 03:44 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hang in there. One of our many Stones experts can tell you about your particular pressing. This is a very common LP having gone 12X Platinum that means there were more than 12 million copies sold. A signed copy went for $400 so I don't think you will be able to retire on this. Most unusual pressings seem to go for $45.

"When he did show up we had a hard time finding something for him to do. Then one day he shows up and puts that great slide on "No Expectations". That was the last contribution I think Brian ever made." - Mick Jagger

bahnghitOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 06, 2012 - 04:06 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the info, I'll hang in there!....also, so far, I haven't seen any mention at all about the missing 's' from Richards name, do you know anything about that?

bahnghitOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 06, 2012 - 04:12 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Another pic if it helps, ....Abkco Records?
and etched in where Shelly should be is this...

Etch.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.87 KB
 Viewed:  512 Time(s)

Etch.jpg

Picture 002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.36 KB
 Viewed:  514 Time(s)

Picture 002.jpg

CaptainVagueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 07, 2012 - 10:55 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I don't recall there being a big deal about misspelling Richards name. I know there is a small premium for the single of "Honky Tonk Women" spelled "Woman". But the original release of Let It Bleed had Gimmie Shelter that was changed to Gimme on later pressings & the female singer on that song was credited to Mary Clayton instead of Merry and it doesn't seem to command any more than a normal 1st press. Shoot where is Neal or Steffiestones?

"When he did show up we had a hard time finding something for him to do. Then one day he shows up and puts that great slide on "No Expectations". That was the last contribution I think Brian ever made." - Mick Jagger

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 14, 2012 - 02:44 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

FELLOW GUILDERS

Since Keith has spelled his last name with and without an "s" at the end, I suppose there in no "incorrect" way to spell it.

Also, the 12xP for a two-record set usually means six-million-two-record-albums have been sold.

Blah blah blah,

NEAL

alfeizarOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 14, 2012 - 09:44 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Cool to know that 12 platinum means 6 million copies of a two record set were sold, had no idea. Isn't SNB on the deadwax Sabin Nelson Brunet Mastering in Canada? I don't know much about Stones lps but I thought that Shelley copies were only US pressings

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 15, 2012 - 01:33 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

ALFEIZER

Exactly how the RIAA qualifies and certifies a double-LP's sales is currently by length of time.I can't waste time discussing the ever-changing rules they use and the inanity of many of them but some two-record sets get credited for double sales, some for single sales.

All Beatles double albums are counted twice; many (most?) Elvis doubles are counted once.

NU

PS: We didn't buy albums in the 60s based on how long or short they were. Dylan's albums were always among the longest and were consistently outsold by many many many other artists who issued notoriously short LPs.

alfeizarOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 15, 2012 - 03:04 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thanks Neal, very interesting info I will check for more details regarding this. Thanks!

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 17, 2012 - 12:59 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

ALFEIZER

Any time you find an album with a sticker affixed to the jacket rather than to the shrinkwrap, that usually indicates a stock copy used for pre-release or promotional purposes. Below is an image of Simon and Garfunkel's BOOKENDS with a clear plastic strip with white print advertising the bonus poster within.

This was affixed to the shrinkwrap when shipped for retail. I had a copy of this with that strip affixed to the front cover in the same place. It was disorienting at first glance but turned out to be a copy used for non-radio play but nonetheless promotional purposes.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=simon+and+garfunkel+bookends&start=705&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1024&bih=651&addh=36&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=qQWiWEI7kp3a-M:&imgrefurl=http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SIMON-GARFUNKEL-Bookends-1967-COLUMBIA-STEREO-LP-NM-w-Poster-Shrink-Sticker-/230824050425&docid=1_LPiT3sZ15DyM&itg=1&imgurl=http://www.saturnrecords.com/auctions/STORE/Rock/286a.jpg&w=1023&h=638&ei=wrRWUNzNH6GCiwLojYHICw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=100&vpy=11&dur=4491&hovh=177&hovw=284&tx=154&ty=74&sig=115492916778748438061&page=36&tbnh=127&tbnw=203&ndsp=23&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:705,i:71

NEAL

Jump to: