The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
gbfrank
Post subject: Reference Book on lps and 45s  PostPosted: Oct 10, 2011 - 09:51 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

So, Stones fans, what do you recommend as a reference for the Rolling Stones U.S. records releases, preferably something close to the depth of detail in Bruce Spizer's books on the Beatles?

I've already learned that I can't afford The Ultimate Guide, much as I want it. I've got a large group of Stones lps and I'd like to do some research on the various issues.

Thanks,

Frank

Reply with quote Back to top
AbeatlessnutOffline
Post subject: Re: Reference Book on lps and 45s  PostPosted: Nov 04, 2011 - 04:08 PM
Level 5
Level 5

gbfrank wrote:
So, Stones fans, what do you recommend as a reference for the Rolling Stones U.S. records releases, preferably something close to the depth of detail in Bruce Spizer's books on the Beatles?

I've already learned that I can't afford The Ultimate Guide, much as I want it. I've got a large group of Stones lps and I'd like to do some research on the various issues.

Thanks,

Frank

I believe it is a topic worth its own research and book. They were the 2nd biggest English act in The Brittish invasion and are deserving of an in-depth review of their American material. There was a book by Neely & Thompson concerning Brittish Invasion American/Brittish Lp releases that gives a better examination of the topic (eventhough not complete). There's got to be some expert out there!

namralosOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Reference Book on lps and 45s  PostPosted: Nov 05, 2011 - 09:27 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I'm trying to con Bruce into doing a series on other artists -- Elvis; Stones; Dylan.
As I did with our Parlophone book, I'm starting an Elvis book to see whether he might jump on board at a later date.
The Rolling Stones certainly deserve the thorough research that the Beatles have received.

Right now, for Stones releases, I frequent certain websites, but there aren't any books out on paper.

Frank

tim2Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: Reference Book on lps and 45s  PostPosted: Nov 10, 2011 - 01:47 PM
Level 3
Level 3

I nearly killed myself building www.stones7.com which no book will ever match and has been updated every day since 2000, but this is for 7"s only!
Best wishes,

Tim

gbfrank
Post subject: RE: Re: Reference Book on lps and 45s  PostPosted: Nov 10, 2011 - 03:54 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Very nice, tim2.

AbeatlessnutOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: Reference Book on lps and 45s  PostPosted: Nov 14, 2011 - 12:23 PM
Level 5
Level 5

tim2 wrote:
I nearly killed myself building www.stones7.com which no book will ever match and has been updated every day since 2000, but this is for 7"s only!
Best wishes,

Tim

Tim,
Looks like you got most of the book (at least 45's) already available online and at a very reasonable cost for the information given. Great job!
Dave Thompson

JoeGOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: Reference Book on lps and 45s  PostPosted: Sep 17, 2012 - 12:01 AM
Level 4
Level 4

I'm a newbie here,and I'd guess that this book has been mentioned. It's called "Rolling Stones Worldwide III. http://www.rollingstones-worldwide.com/
It's amazing!

JoeG

prancinghorseOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: Reference Book on lps and 45s  PostPosted: Sep 18, 2012 - 07:35 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

namralos wrote:
Right now, for Stones releases, I frequent certain websites, but there aren't any books out on paper.

That for sure is not true, there are different boooks in the market:

Dieter Hoffmann - Das Rolling Stones Weissbuch (released in 1991, the first run was issued with a 7" by The Swingin Pig)

Dieter Hoffmann - Das Weissbuch Recording, Index 1961-2003, Band 1 + 2 (two books, released in 2003)

Nico Zentgraf - The Complete Works (volume 1 & 2 & 3, released in 1997, 1998 and 2004 - Nico planned on releasing more but looks like he never did, nevertheless he has got a fantatstic webside dedicated to the Stones Zentgraf Stones). Nico also provided an overview about all the books that influences his work (see here)

Jump to: