The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
nevrstpOffline
Post subject: FLEX YOUR HEAD Comp  PostPosted: Oct 29, 2012 - 10:10 AM
Level 4
Level 4

If someone that knows they definitively have the first pressing of this, came in the cello and flowers cover, would provide vinyl trail off information I would be grateful so I can make a comparison to mine. Thanks so much and regards, Randy

Reply with quote Back to top
AudioGasoline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 31, 2012 - 11:44 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I'm supposing you've seen this over at discogs:
Matrix / Runout (Side A): NR 13542-I FROM NOTHING TO NOWHERE JE NRP
Matrix / Runout (Side B): NR 13542-II DONT LET IT GO TO YOUR HeAD JE NRP

There's also a specific issue with the cover, which is hard for bootleggers to duplicate and can be used to help nail it down - the amazing Dischord discography at Seeking The Simple describes it thusly:

"Finding a violin cover in decent shape is nearly impossible because it’s printed on this weird heavy stock that’s almost seems like a “knitted” material or something. It’s obviously not knitted, but I don’t know how else to explain it. Every other centimeter or so, the stock is raised up more than the area next to it, so when it rubs up against other things (like other records in your collection), it develops ring wear and scuffs really easily. Other LP’s pressed on this heavy weird stock include the 1st pressing of the Faith/Void split LP, the first Scream LP, and the F.U.’s “My America” LP on X-Claim."

http://seekingthesimple.wordpress.com/vinyl/dischord-records/
(it's about a third of the way down the page)

Incidentally, I haven't heard rumors of this album as a boot, and the Dischord folks are usually pretty on top of unofficial stuff - they used to have a bounty on Ebay bootleggers, and would give $10 webstore credit to every Dischord boot listing you reported to them. I don't think they still do the bounty, but they're very vocal and legally aggressive when they find copyright violations:
T-shirts @ Forever 21: http://www.thefader.com/2009/03/09/dischord-responds-to-bootleg-forever-21-minor-threat-t-shirt/
Images @ Nike: http://randazza.wordpress.com/2007/07/23/dischord-minor-threat-v-nike/
They even tried to go after Fox TV for using an audio clip without permission (but Fox got away with it).

Audio Gasoline: High Performance Turntable Fuel

nevrstpOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 02, 2012 - 02:10 PM
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks - cant believe I missed that site and interesting about the policing policy. I checked my record carefully and everything seems legit first press. I lived in TX for a year in 1991 and went to the Austin show and remember a guy had it displayed behind him for $50 dollars and I snagged it in like new condition. What got me nervous was that it seems like in the 90's the third cover reissue was out there alot and I just thought hey, is possible could stick re-press into original sleeve but looks like all is kosher.

AudioGasoline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 03, 2012 - 12:27 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Excellent, glad it's legit - you can see in the photo that the Wheat version has a cream label background and the Violin has white, so that's another good identifier.

Were you lucky enough to get a nice copy of the insert, too? If so, it sounds like a sweet little score for $50 (although in 1991 there were only 2 pressings, and $50 was probably about right or even a little high). Jeff Nelson sold a couple of his mint/unplayed copies this summer at $200 each.

Nice score.

Audio Gasoline: High Performance Turntable Fuel

Jump to: