The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
windbagOffline
Post subject: Anita Kerr GROW TO KNOW ME on Ampex--WOW!  PostPosted: Nov 19, 2012 - 10:29 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I was crate digging locally, some upgrades, yada yada yada. Picked up some things I thought could be interesting -- in a low sort of way. I'm familiar with the Anita Kerr Singers as a Nashville version of calculated fluff like the Ray Conniff Singers, and her backing several of my Hank Snow '60s Lps, just pleasant easy chorus, laid back Nashville Sound, boring as h*** unless the song selections have something odd about them.

I wasn't prepared. GROW TO KNOW ME, Ampex Lp, promo sticker, so-so cover condition, I expected a slight upgrade for the late '60s. No way. It just bit my ears like hearing Sissel's ALL GOOD THINGS soar. Rock band backing cooks, great bass work, harder edge than Laura Nyro. What the h*** happened? It was GOOD! She opened up and took the band with her. She would have been 44-5 years old when she made it, c. 1971. Decidedly NOT a prozac Nashville disc.

Reply with quote Back to top
ValdezOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 20, 2012 - 10:06 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

And Jon Bonham on drums!!! Wink

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: