The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 07, 2012 - 08:36 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

CactusCowboy wrote:
Can anyone explain what exactly "VG++" is, and how it differs from "VG+" and "NM"? Where is "VG++" described in Goldmine? It's a bullsh*t grade, isn't it?

I don't know if it's a bullshit grade, but it's the grade I probably use more than any other in auctions I list. I'm pretty sure it's what lots of other people call NM, but I reserve NM for perfect. If a record has any mark at all under my florescent light, like one infinitesimal mark on the trail-in area that doesn't come anywhere near the grooves, I'll call it VG + + (couldn't realistically call it VG +, could ya?). By the same token, if it looks NM but has the slightest crackle at the lead-in or lead-out, I'll also ding it down to VG + +. Better to be safe than sorry. Now, "EX", to me that's a bs grade, except for 78s (or if you're a Brit, and they seem to use that grade to cover a pretty wise swathe of circumstances).

Reply with quote Back to top
alfeizarOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2012 - 07:44 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I think the excellent grade exists on the bistish magazine Record Collector Magazine, BUT they don't have a VG+. To me the M>NM>E>VG++>VG+>VG>etc its just a way of ebay sellers to hide that they are listing a beat up record. I pretty much only buy records online given the fact that they are hard to find here and always prefer to buy a VG+ from a collector I can trust to a Mint form an ebay seller, I'm just tired of getting mad at sellers due to how they grade

Reply with quote Back to top
tw5270Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2012 - 08:23 AM
Level 5
Level 5

My new grading system:

CL= Cool
NC= Not Cool
BG= Bogus
FUBAR= Well you should know what that stands for
ST= Sweet
SK+++= Sucker you just paid 3 times what this is worth