The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Heidler
Post subject: The Cascades  PostPosted: Dec 07, 2012 - 12:07 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thanks gentlemen for your inputs.

All well-pointed out simply because sometime before some of the " big venue " operations , many " hit-making " bands, groups, and solo artists performed in those " out-of-the-way " places, especially in the 1950s and early-to-mid 1960s, not to mention some the " chicken-wire " bars that some had to play in.

Some people have forgotten that Buddy Holly, as well as Ritchie Valens ( Valenzuela ) and the Big Bopper ( Jiles Perry " Jape " or " J.P. " Richardson ) played their last gig at the Surf Ballroom in Mason City, Iowa ( where the heck is the surf in Iowa ? ) during a winter swing through several " out-of-the-way " states in 1959.
All of them were well-known to radio listeners and record buyers ( though people now say that Valens, rather than Holly, was the real draw )

Lord, when I think of some of the places I've seen some of these people, the " gate " must have been less than $30!

Nobody seemed exempt from a tour of these places ( with the one exception of Elvis AFTER his fame kicked-in )

Too bad guys like Bono ( Bone-head ) and his boys ( U2 ) couldn't have paid a few dues in some of the places such as where Holly played.

Off again to Oxnard ( home of The Dartells! ) tomorrow morning for the week-end.
House-sitting ( Condo ) for friend while he's out at Catalina ( do you smell fish ? )
( He doesn't have many records ( mostly cds ) so there's nothing worthwhile to steal )

Taking " Don't Knock The Twist " ( dvd ) because I want to see Dee Dee Sharp and The Dovells " lip-synching " some of their hits.
I can always fast-forward Chubby Checker ( do you still smell fish ? )

Good inputs from all, thanks again.

H

Reply with quote Back to top
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: The Cascades  PostPosted: Dec 07, 2012 - 02:49 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

CactusCowboy wrote:
wurlitzer1450 wrote:
my old friend pat from rock springs said the glenn miller band did a show in pinedale, wyoming last month and he attended

They played in Cody as well. It was an excellent concert.

I bought a used Dave Brubeck LP with a concert flyer inside detailing a 1980 appearance in Cody. A friend told me that Duke Ellington came to Wyoming during national tours many years ago. So Wyoming is not totally forgotten, although sometimes it seems that way.

if i had a band i think i would have a problem performing in a town where the band members outnumber the town folk Laughing Laughing

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: scanning newsprint  PostPosted: Dec 08, 2012 - 12:05 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

wurlitzer1450 wrote:
... does anyone have any ideas on how to scan newsprint articles? i really have difficulty getting them readable when i scan and post them.
Depends what particular problem(s) you are having. As a suggestion, set your scanner resolution to a minimum 300 dpi. If necessary, tweak the brightness/contrast in a graphics image editor. I have found that "gimp" (www.gimp.org) is excellent for this purpose, and the download is free.

Jump to: