The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Author Message
bluevirgo7Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: 1 or 2 Light Scratches  PostPosted: Dec 10, 2012 - 05:29 AM
Level 4
Level 4


Joined: Jan 11, 2011
Posts: 66

Status: Offline
does look like he got the VG+ VG wrong if i where to list those the VG+ would be VG those look to be pretty wide marks, Nothing works better then a sound sample. almost all covers are VG or worse
i like the detailed explanation
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: RE: 1 or 2 Light Scratches  PostPosted: Dec 10, 2012 - 08:02 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM


Joined: Jun 29, 2007
Posts: 2040

Status: Offline
No such thing as too much detail. That's never a bad idea if you don't mind taking the time to do it.

Personally, if the record has any deep scratches (even if it's just a couple) that you can feel with a fingernail, I wouldn't consider it better than VG. Honestly, I probably wouldn't buy it unless it was super desirable and very very cheap. But, I'm really picky about how I spend my money on vinyl.

Using a turntable isn't bad, but if you get a cheap one, a record may sound all right to you, but terrible to a buyer with a slightly higher end turntable. If you're looking to buy a cheap one solely for the purpose of testing your merchandise, I'd consider just sticking to the visual grading, especially if you're being very detailed in the descriptions.
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
hrtshpdbox
Post subject: Re: RE: 1 or 2 Light Scratches  PostPosted: Dec 10, 2012 - 08:43 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM


Joined: Mar 11, 2006
Posts: 5931
Location: Harrisburg, PA
mackdaddyg wrote:
If you're looking to buy a cheap one solely for the purpose of testing your merchandise, I'd consider just sticking to the visual grading, especially if you're being very detailed in the descriptions.


I don't see that at all. What's a cheap one? My Technics SL-QD33 can't be worth more than 50 dollars (I paid 15); it's certainly suitable for ascertaining audio grade, but I also use it for everything else. I really doubt that a better table would provide more accurate grading; in fact, I'd expect those folks who insist on high end tables that exaggerate any flaw to be pretty tolerant.
 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail  
Reply with quote Back to top
mackdaddygOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: 1 or 2 Light Scratches  PostPosted: Dec 10, 2012 - 09:13 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM


Joined: Jun 29, 2007
Posts: 2040

Status: Offline
hrtshpdbox wrote:
mackdaddyg wrote:
If you're looking to buy a cheap one solely for the purpose of testing your merchandise, I'd consider just sticking to the visual grading, especially if you're being very detailed in the descriptions.


I don't see that at all. What's a cheap one? My Technics SL-QD33 can't be worth more than 50 dollars (I paid 15); it's certainly suitable for ascertaining audio grade, but I also use it for everything else. I really doubt that a better table would provide more accurate grading; in fact, I'd expect those folks who insist on high end tables that exaggerate any flaw to be pretty tolerant.


I'll elaborate.....if you buy one of those Walmart turntables with the built in cd player that always sounds like crap to me (and I ain't that picky when it comes to sound), I don't believe you can get a true representation of what the vinyl will sound like. Thus, I don't think it's worth the money, especially if that's the only reason you are purchasing it.

That's just me. There's also a great chance it will do just fine for your purposes, but I don't know if it's a worthwhile investment, especially if you're being really detailed with visual grading.
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 10, 2012 - 09:32 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM


Joined: Mar 11, 2006
Posts: 5931
Location: Harrisburg, PA
mackdaddyg wrote:
...if you buy one of those Walmart turntables with the built in cd player...


Ah, OK, sorry, I most certainly agree on that. Whatever gonzogenius does, he should avoid crap like that. Hunting around for 70s stuff at yard/garage sales (and from relatives who no longer care about it) is still the way to go to get a usable set-up on the cheap.
 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail  
Reply with quote Back to top
gonzogeniusOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 10, 2012 - 01:47 PM
Level 4
Level 4


Joined: Oct 26, 2012
Posts: 85

Status: Offline
Ill probably find one on Craigslist or at a garage sale

_________________
<b>My eBay Page</b>- http://myworld.ebay.com/norcalstuff4sale/
 
 View user's profile Send private message  
Reply with quote Back to top
Display posts from previous:     
Jump to:  
All times are GMT
Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Powered by PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 The PNphpBB Group
Credits