The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
heyjoeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 27, 2012 - 04:45 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Incomplete..you bet. A 2004 Goldmine 45 Price guide would be useful only for common records by big artists. It would skip many valuable soul 45s entirely or value them very low. My personal test of a 45 price guide is to see if it lists the TWANS--not Swans, but Twans. $1500-$2000 soul 45--what good is a 45 guide if it doesn't list valuable records?

Reply with quote Back to top
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 28, 2012 - 10:47 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

i put the fixx, herb alpert, night ranger, and other similar 45s in the 15 cent boxes, most 70s and newer 45s don't sell well.

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 28, 2012 - 11:27 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Each price guide has a different agenda, and a different market. I find fault with all of 'em, but they have their good points as well.

One thing I don't get....why does Goldmine bother listing the entire output of artists like Mitch Miller and Lawrence Welk? Neither are very collectible, and it seems like the space could be used for more appropriate artists.

annaloogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 28, 2012 - 11:26 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

heyjoe wrote:
... My personal test of a 45 price guide is to see if it lists the TWANS--not Swans, but Twans....
Heh, since the House of Collectables edition, I have been checking Osborne's guides (as I come across them) to see whether he has figured out yet that Mary Hopkin and Mark Hopkins are two different people.

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: Goldmine Priceguide for 45's - Incomplete  PostPosted: Dec 29, 2012 - 09:40 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

mackdaddyg wrote:
Each price guide has a different agenda, and a different market. I find fault with all of 'em, but they have their good points as well.

One thing I don't get....why does Goldmine bother listing the entire output of artists like Mitch Miller and Lawrence Welk? Neither are very collectible, and it seems like the space could be used for more appropriate artists.

i have often thought the same thing, perhaps they sell lots of price guides to the people who buy everything that's very cheap and want to look up the value of their purchases. why list records that are "stiffs", meaning they don't sell to anyone but the nickle and dimers. i liike the way docks handles it, he lists the desirable records by title, label, and record number and the rest of the output by the same artist only by record number.

heyjoeOffline
Post subject: RE: Goldmine Priceguide for 45  PostPosted: Dec 29, 2012 - 12:17 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Lemme get my soapbox out. Price guides are filled with relatively high prices for common records so that the books will sell to those mildly interested people with mainstream collections who are delighted to believe their 1970s LPs are worth $10-$15 apiece regardless of condition, because they never read the section on condition. In a year or two they will buy the price guide again to see how much the value of their collections have increased. Sometimes they are disappointed because I offer them $1 or $2 for their Eagles LP because I'm lucky to get $5 at a show. Highly collectible and valuable records are routinely left out to make more room for listings for common releases from big-selling artists that are more likely to be in the collection of our casual collector. It's about selling the book--again and again.

Jump to: