The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
NorthwindsOffline
Post subject: Odd Asian Stones lp  PostPosted: May 13, 2012 - 11:53 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I snagged a pretty clean copy of Now!

Catalog number LW-106 . The label is Largeworld but it uses the same Statue of Liberty logo as Liberty Records Laughing

What is really cool is that it is clear amber vinyl. It's the old 60s style flimsy sleeve with the polycover attached like my others. Vinyl is heavier weight and I just gave it a spin, great fidelity!!!! Great finding one I don't have as these are tough to find anywhere, especially in clean condition. Anyone familiar with these?

Reply with quote Back to top
prancinghorseOffline
Post subject: RE: Odd Asian Stones lp  PostPosted: May 16, 2012 - 02:40 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Taiwanese origin, most probably not legitimate (or let's rephrase I am 99% certain that this is a counterfeit) - what surprises me is the fact that the fidelity is "great", all comparable items that I own are crap from fidelity perspective..

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: Odd Asian Stones lp  PostPosted: May 16, 2012 - 06:51 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

prancinghorse wrote:
Taiwanese origin, most probably not legitimate ...
Probably legit. (and not counterfeit) in Taiwan, but not licensed and thus not intended to be sold in any other country.

Rafter242Offline
Post subject: Re: Odd Asian Stones lp  PostPosted: May 17, 2012 - 02:46 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

annaloog wrote:
prancinghorse wrote:
Taiwanese origin, most probably not legitimate ...
Probably legit. (and not counterfeit) in Taiwan, but not licensed and thus not intended to be sold in any other country.

Wouldn't "not licensed" preclude it from being legit?
I would say that licensed equals official and anything other is not.

NorthwindsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 17, 2012 - 07:11 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Finally took some images of it

Another one on eBay is similiar but a different label and catalog number

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolling-Stones-Now-ORANGE-BLACK-VINYL-TWL-1167-VG-Stones-Vol-2-/251054236879?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item3a73ffa4cf

Regarding the fidelity. I have a few of these Taiwan pressings and they all are on at least 140g vinyl. They sound great. These were discussed on another board awhile back and someone mentioned that they were stolen Japanese pressings with different labels affixed. I have no way to verify that but I find it interesting that there is in fact an orange Japanese pressing of the same lp

Probably the best one I have is a mint banned cover Scorpions - Virgin Killer and it's 160g vinyl, easily on par with my other versions in regard to fidelity. Odd also that it comes in a thick jacket, same as the Japanese pressings

Last edited by Northwinds on May 17, 2012 - 07:21 AM; edited 1 time in total

annaloogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 17, 2012 - 07:20 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Northwinds wrote:
... and someone mentioned that they were stolen Japanese pressings with different labels affixed....
Were this true, the matrix impressions for a particular issue, Japanese and Taiwanese, would be identical. If you have a copy of the UK Decca release, you might compare the matrix nos. with your Taiwan copy.

NorthwindsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 17, 2012 - 07:22 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

annaloog wrote:
Northwinds wrote:
... and someone mentioned that they were stolen Japanese pressings with different labels affixed....
Were this true, the matrix impressions for a particular issue, Japanese and Taiwanese, would be identical. If you have a copy of the UK Decca release, you might compare the matrix nos. with your Taiwan copy.

I only have a London copy

I checked the matrix number on the orange copy, it's ZAL 0001

I have Big Hits on the Black Cat label also (BC-4110) matrix is ZAL 7168 G

I did a quick search and the matrix number prefixes correspond to the original Decca releases for both lps. I guess this would make them legit pressings to some extent right? Taiwan was a Japanese colony for 50 years so there maybe some truth to the stolen pressing angle. These are definitely 1960s issues

http://www.stonesondecca.com/3A1_Matrix.html

MikeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 06, 2013 - 03:55 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

If its not legit or not licensed, then they would not have access to a master tape and would have dubbed these records from a vinyl issue, which is often obvious. If not taken from vinyl, it's been cut from tape in which case it could very well be licensed. Japan has had no rule over Taiwan since 1945 so I don't see a Japanese connection.

NorthwindsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 13, 2013 - 03:47 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Mikey wrote:
If its not legit or not licensed, then they would not have access to a master tape and would have dubbed these records from a vinyl issue, which is often obvious. If not taken from vinyl, it's been cut from tape in which case it could very well be licensed. Japan has had no rule over Taiwan since 1945 so I don't see a Japanese connection.

I was referring more to contacts that would facilitate the theft. Everybody knows everybody in the business

Jump to: