The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
I listen to a digital music format, such as MP3...
Often
50%
 50%  [ 7 ]
Occasionally
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Rarely
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Never
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 14

robertbishopOffline
Post subject: Research Student seeking to interview collectors  PostPosted: Feb 22, 2013 - 08:30 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Hi there,

I am studying an MA in Graphic Design at Sheffield Hallam University, England. I am undertaking a project based around artwork design for music products, in particular comparing physical formats with digital ones. An essential part of my research is to understand exactly why vinyl (and its artwork) has so much allure for collectors such as yourselves.

Firstly, I'd be grateful if you could you answer my poll about whether you ever listen to digital music formats, and if so, how often.

Secondly, if anyone lives in the UK, and would be kind enough to consider letting me interview them, please contact me with a message and I can give you some more info about me and my project.

If you don't live in the UK, but could offer any information about you, your collection and the reasons why you like vinyl records, that would be great too.

Thanks, Very Happy

Rob.

Reply with quote Back to top
RidinTheWind
Post subject: RE: Research Student seeking to interview collectors  PostPosted: Feb 22, 2013 - 12:11 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

While I never listen to MP3, I do listen CD's.

On collecting vinyl, I like the sound better than digital media and there is also so much great music that never made it to any digital format.

On the cover art, though only on occasion do I pick up a record for the artwork, it does surpass that of CD's and one can frame it!

TimJOffline
Post subject: RE: Research Student seeking to interview collectors  PostPosted: Feb 22, 2013 - 12:49 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I listen to MP3 quite a lot because they play better in a car than vinyl. Wink That said, most of my MP3's are from vinyl I've converted. Like RTW said, there's a lot of good music that cannot be found on MP3 or CD format. Even the vinyl-to-MP3 converted recordings sound better and are more appealing to me than buying digital media.

The LP artwork is a big part of collecting for me, as this has been completely lost with the advent of digital media.

tw5270Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Research Student seeking to interview collectors  PostPosted: Feb 22, 2013 - 02:13 PM
Level 5
Level 5

TimJ wrote:
I listen to MP3 quite a lot because they play better in a car than vinyl. Wink That said, most of my MP3's are from vinyl I've converted. Like RTW said, there's a lot of good music that cannot be found on MP3 or CD format. Even the vinyl-to-MP3 converted recordings sound better and are more appealing to me than buying digital media.

The LP artwork is a big part of collecting for me, as this has been completely lost with the advent of digital media.

This^

As a kid the allure of the record store was over whelming. The cool new art, the smell of the cover after you opened the shrink wrap.
Now I have an iphone5 that my company pays for and not one song on it. I just opened my first itunes account because I needed one for the damn phone. My kids have various types of digital music players (phones/ipods/mp3's and laptops) But they always want to listen when I head for the turntable.

I can interview via email/skype/phone if you need.

HamYardieOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Research Student seeking to interview collectors  PostPosted: Feb 22, 2013 - 03:08 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

The vinyl sounds better full-stop. Thats not an opinion thats a fact ! The LP covers are bigger, much bigger and many of them come from an era when there were some excellent graphic designers and photographers working in the medium (album cover design). Today most covers appear to be an image, chosen by "who knows" and some type slapped on top by someone with little foundation in art or design. It's become that nowadays anyone can put a cover together and anyone often does. Thats no to say there isn't any good new cover artwork, but I would say there is less of it and the "canvas" is smaller.

robertbishopOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Research Student seeking to interview collectors  PostPosted: Feb 23, 2013 - 03:01 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for all your replies and poll votes so far. This is all excellent stuff for my project.

I would like to perhaps use some snippets of what you have written as quotes in my reports, citing your user name. If any of you object to this, please let me know here.

Thanks, Rob.

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: Re: Research Student seeking to interview collectors  PostPosted: Feb 23, 2013 - 03:58 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

robertbishop wrote:
An essential part of my research is to understand exactly why vinyl (and its artwork) has so much allure for collectors such as yourselves.
Rob.

I have a large collection of 78/45/33 records. The majority of these records were never reissued or available in CD or MP3 format. So, for a lot of music, the only choice is to buy the records.

Artwork certainly has appeal. That's not something you get with an MP3 file.

Cost. One can buy a box full of records at a yard sale for a few dollars. Often times they're free.

Then there's the collector mentality of having the actual object. Again, an MP3 file just doesn't have that sort of appeal.

Best of luck with your research project and thanks for visiting the RCG.

j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Research Student seeking to interview collectors  PostPosted: Feb 24, 2013 - 12:15 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I'm a music fan first, vinyl is my media of choice, but having the music is priority one.

Having large appetite for music I've had to go to the used market since I was a kid and vinyl was always readily available there. So it all started out of necessity and evolved into a preference.

Not only do mp3's lack the tactile experience of any other format, let alone the 12"s of vinyl, but they don't fit into the constant ebb and flow of my collection. I routinely buy albums I know nothing about or have never heard and that can lead to having a bunch of stuff I don't like/want. Albums I liked last year I don't care for anymore etc...And when this happens I sell or trade it away. If I buy a vinyl album for $10 at the end of the day, at the very least, I have an item worth $10. If I download an album for $10 at the end of the day, at the very least, I have nothing. I get bummed when I buy a record, tape or cd that I don't really like. If I bought an mp3 that I didn't like, I'd be pissed for throwing money away. The bottom line is that I would never be able to afford to check out all the music I want to if I were buying mp3s with no resale value and like I said before I have a large appetite for music so that simply wont do. The difference in the listening experience of mp3 to anything else is a moot point for me. I feel buying downloaded music is a foolish move as a consumer.

Jump to: